Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 2nd, 2016 02:00

Dell Inspiron 7720 GPU not showing AND BIOS update Error 105

Hello,

So as it says in the title i have a 4 years old Inspiron 7720, and for the larger portion of that period of time it worked like a charm.

However lately it started doing some quirky things.

About two weeks ago my GPU (GeForce GT 650M) just disappeared from my Device Manager. I tried updating my GPU drivers, updating Windows (10) but it didn't seem to change anything. 
So i did some digging and found this: http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19498450

Apparently I'm not the only one who encounterd this problem and there is a solution.
HOWEVER, whenever I try to flash my BIOS an error pops up which reads: "ERROR 105 - Command line error! Status = 105."

I searched and found more users that experienced this problem, but the only solution I managed to find was reinstalling the OS, which is quite a drastic measure.

Is there any other way to fix this error?
Thank you

9.4K Posts

November 2nd, 2016 09:00

It appears your BIOS may need to be updated.  What is the current version you're using? You should update them in order without skipping to the highest first.  Here's some information that may be helpful.

2 Posts

November 2nd, 2016 15:00

I'm currently running the A12 version.

when i tried to update to the A13 it gave the following error: "ERROR 216 - Failed to read BIOS from ROM! Status = 1604"

Any suggestions?

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

November 2nd, 2016 16:00

Unplug the system, remove the battery and hold the power button for 30 sec.  Then try flashing.

If that clears the issue, you're set.  If not, the BIOS (or the BIOS chip) is corrupt -- meaning either a trip to a shop that can de-solder it, replace it and re-solder it, or a replacement mainboard (which may in fact be less expensive if you replace it yourself).

No Events found!