Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 10th, 2013 00:00

Dell Inspiron N5110 Won't turn on, no lights, no sound, no screen

My Dell Inspiron n5110 won't boot. I was using it fine and shut down normally to go over to a friends house, upon arrival the laptop just won't turn on. When I connect my external fan to one of the USB port closest (to the left of) to the power button it will still turn on but when I try any of the other USB ports there is no power to them. Also none of of the lights will turn on, that being the power button light, all of the indicators at the bottom, the screen, the alternate keys to turn on or off the screen/menu and so on.

I have tried to unplug everything, take out the battery, and hold the button for 20-30 seconds to drain all the extra power inside, I've tried letting it charge/starving it of energy. And nothing has changed. No lights, no screen, no indicators. How can I get it working?

It has really personal things on it so taking it to the geek squad is NOT an option

I then got the advice from a Dell employee on Yahoo Answers:

1. Connect the AC adapter to a known good power outlet. Check Power LED indicator on AC Adaptor without plugging into the Notebook.
2. If LED on the AC adapter is not lit when unplugged from notebook, reseat brick and cable.
3. If LED on the AC Adapter goes off only after connecting to notebook, may be the power connector or the motherboard is at fault.
4. Also, would suggest you to take the battery out and only connect the AC adapter and check if it turns on.

to which I replied

Dell, I have tried all of those and it is still not working. The power light on the adapter stays on all the time (even when plugged in). I've taken out the battery and tried just the adapter, I've tried just the battery (it was fully charged as of the time it stopped working). Even the indicator light saying the laptop is plugged in (on the laptop) isn't turning on when it is plugged in.

2.2K Posts

February 10th, 2013 04:00

Hi Elijah,

Welcome to the Community.

You have done most of the troubleshooting to isolate the issue. I would suggest you to unplug customer replaceable units one by one to isolate the issue further. Customer replaceable units are:

Optical Drive
Memory
Keyboard

Please refer to the manual by clicking the link mentioned below:

http://bit.ly/11R8yLX

If the issue persists, system board needs replacement.

Thanks & Regards
Manshu S
#iworkfordell

February 10th, 2013 12:00

I have carefully pulled both ram and tested the computer without each one. Meaning I kept one in and tried to turn it on, alternated then tried again. And nothing changed, still dead. Next to the optical drive

February 10th, 2013 12:00

Removing the optical drive didn't change anything and I was not able to remove the keyboard at this time.

2.2K Posts

February 11th, 2013 01:00

Hi Elijah,

Thank you for the reply.

It seems to be an issue with the system board. If the system is under warranty, send me the Service Tag and the name listed on the account in a Private Message.

Thanks & Regards
Manshu S
#iworkfordell

6 Posts

September 16th, 2013 13:00

I have the exact same problem, how was this resolved.

3 Posts

August 10th, 2015 00:00

So this thread is a bot old but I had the same problem and fixed it so I'll share how.  After the computer went completely dead I took it to a repair shop that said it was the motherboard and I should scrap it, as at that point I had little to lose I decided to open it up.  When I did so I found a loose connection between the circuit board that houses the AC jack and the motherboard.  I tightened a few screws, put the whole thing back together and have been using it happily for a year since.  Hope this reply helps someone.

No Events found!