This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 9th, 2012 03:00

Dell Inspiron very slow and unresponsive

I have a Dell Inspiron 6400 bought in 2006 with the following configuration:

Intel Core 2 Duo processor with 1 GB RAM
80 GB of hard disk of which about 5 GB is free

Of late it has become very slow and unresponsive. It takes a very long time to boot (approx 7 - 10 mins) and any application takes a long time to start. I have run disc clean up and disc defrag but none of it helps.

Is the "Dell PC Restore by Symantec" only option left for me ? Does anyone has any experience of the PC restore working properly ?

Any help will be appreciated.

4.4K Posts

April 9th, 2012 04:00

Hi ambdxt,

Welcome to the Community,

System can start running slow due to several reasons.You can use the link below and try the suggested steps :

support.dell.com/.../document

However if you don't want to go through all the steps mentioned,try to back up the data (any thing which is important like your pictures,music,video,documents) and than directly follow Step 10 Run full Computer Diagnostic.

If the diagnostic passes without any error,than definitely performing a PC restore ( for instructions follow Step 11) would work  and help you make your system work faster.

After doing the PC restore,you can also consider upgrading the RAM (memory) to 2 GB,that will help the system to boot faster and open multiple application at a better speed.

Hope this helps,

Thank You

Roshan

5 Posts

April 9th, 2012 05:00

Hi Roshan,

Thanks for your inputs. I will go through your suggested steps and check if there is any improvement in the performance.

2 Posts

April 9th, 2012 05:00

Very informative!!! Thanks for sharing! Even i had the same problem i.e, very slow and unresponsive!

5 Posts

April 10th, 2012 00:00

Hi Roshan,

To start with, I had run the Dell PC Diagnostics from the following location : http://www.dell.com/support/troubleshooting/us/en/19/diagnostics?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&~ck=anavml

It gives the following error related to the hard driive:

Tested and needing attention: Hard Drive:WDC WD800BEVS-75LAT0

-----------------------------------------------

Targeted Read Test   - Failed

Error while reading sector 60806074.

The test found 1 sector errors.

----------------------------------------------

SMART Short Self Test - Failed

The device reported the following status: The previous self-test completed having the read element of the test failed.
• Your drive indicates that a failure may be imminent. Backup all important files and replace your drive. 

The first failing LBA value is 60806074 and the failure occurred after the device had been operating for 3217 power-on hours.

-------------------------------------------------

The rest of the tests were successful.

Can you advice what needs to be done now.

Thanks in advance.

4.4K Posts

April 10th, 2012 03:00

Hi ambdxt,

The test shows that your system has a failing HDD and it requires you to replace the HDD.This could be the primary reason as to why your system has been running slow.I would suggest you to get a new HDD and than reinstall the Windows Manually (For help use the link on my previous post,Click on Step 11 follow Manual Reinstallation).

You can find a list of compatible HDD for your system in the link below:( You can choose one depending on the storage space you need).

accessories.us.dell.com/.../category.aspx

On this system model its very simple to replace the HDD.For help to replace the HDD use the link below:

support.dell.com/.../parts.htm

Let me know if you need any further help.

Thank You

Roshan.

4.4K Posts

April 10th, 2012 03:00

Hi aarlene,

You are welcome,hope it helps you too.

5 Posts

April 10th, 2012 05:00

Hi Roshan,

Thanks very much for a very precise and informative response.

I have one further question. My PC didn't come with an OS CD nor does it have DataSafe Local Backup 2.0 installed. I believe once I replace the HDD, I will need to reinstall XP from the OS disc. Can you let me know how to prepare an OS Recovery disc for my PC. I have looked for it in the forum but couldn't get an answer to it.

Regards,

Ambdxt

4.4K Posts

April 10th, 2012 05:00

You can use this link to request for Backup Disk :

support.dell.com/.../backupcd_form

5 Posts

April 11th, 2012 01:00

Thanks Roshan.

The link you provided is for the US and unfortunately I am in India. I had called up Dell support here and they said that they won't be able to send me any back up disc since Micrsoft do not manufacture them any more. They do not even have the HDD replacement. So zero support from Dell - this is truly pathetic service, something I never expected from Dell.

Not sure what options I have now if I replace the HDD other than buying a new OS.

4.4K Posts

April 11th, 2012 05:00

Hi ambdxt,

Sorry for posting the link for a different region.Since you are in India another option would be contact Dell Carry-In Service Center in your city  and check with them if they can help you to get the HDD replaced (also get the Windows installed). You can use the link below to find the list of Service Center in India.

support.ap.dell.com/.../carry_in_service_contacts

Thank You

Roshan

No Events found!