Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 10th, 2015 15:00

Dell Latitude e5550 randomly freezes

Dell latitude e5550, win 7 Pro, intel I5 - 5300 @2.30 GHz, 8GB ram:

We have rolled out dozens of these systems. All with identical images. there is a small subset of these that are starting to come back with random freezing issues. Thus far we have not been able to narrow it down to an application, a service, or any other cause. The times it freezes is random, there are different number of applications and different applications running each time. 

I checked for bad sectors and checked the disk. No errors found. The only errors in the Event viewer were DCOM errors, but were different applications each time. The only why to get around it is to force restart. We cannot reliably replicate the symptoms. they freeze 1-2 times per day, or they wont for a week.

I considered that the memory may be bad but diagnostics show everything to be working as intended. Looking for any suggestions here.

Thank You.

1.2K Posts

June 11th, 2015 06:00

Hi,

Thank you for writing to the Dell Community Forum .

System freezing can be caused due various reasons .I would ask you to confirm if there is any overheating issue ,as this could be one of the reasons for system freezing ,if noticed then kindly update the system BIOS to the latest version  .Also since this is a random issue I would ask you to work on this system in safe mode as safe mode uses very minimal drivers and graphics ,hence we can check if the issue is seen in safe mode to know if its software or hardware fault .

Since you have already mentioned you have initiated diagnostics I would ask you to check if you had the chance to initiate extended memory test on the system .And if any error msgs are recorded in windows logs.

Hoping to hear from you soon .

Kindest Regards,

June 11th, 2015 07:00

Hi Jennifer,

I did check the system temp. It is running between 50-80°C. The Bios Version is A06. I did not run extended diagnostics, but no errors were found on the other diagnostics. I will also run in safe mode and report back. it may be a few days, as there is no solid way to replicate. 

Thank you,

Robert

1.2K Posts

June 12th, 2015 07:00

Hi ,

Thank you for the reply ! Do send the service tag of the system ,system owners name ,contact no  via private message so that I can verify the details and arrange for technician's visit .

Kindest Regards,

2 Posts

June 17th, 2015 06:00

Hey LetsGiveThisAShot, was there any updates on your freezing situation?  I have a new e5550 that is also experiencing the random freezing issues like you described with no rhyme or reason behind when\why they happen.  Even thought it may have been the docking station- I swapped it out with a new one and there were no freezing instances for about 3 days before it happened again - and then later that day it froze again while I was at home and not connected to a dock. 

Very frustrating, as this laptop was to replace an old e6530 that was suffering from daily BSOD issues and now having to manually power-off after the random freezing occurs is basically the same difference. 

1 Message

July 31st, 2015 11:00

Hi LETSGIVESHISASHOT, any updates on your freezing issues?  We've deployed about a dozen imaged E5550's as well, with the Intel i7-5600U and 8GB ram,  same bios version, also having experienced freezing in a small number (3-4) of those in use.  We've sent one back to Dell whereupon the motherboard was replaced, however random freezes continue even in this repaired unit.  We've been unsuccessful locating the source.

9 Posts

August 3rd, 2015 13:00

Hi we have this same issue on one of our E5550's also.  It is running Windows 7 Pro with latest Dell BIOS. It has the Dell Hybrid SSD drive in it.  The laptop is used on a docking station also.

The laptop will randomly freeze every couple days.  Everything looks very clean on the laptops in terms of the software and infections.  The BIOS level diagnostics and the Dell Windows based hardware diagnostics all pass fine.  The Windows System/Application Event logs do not report any applications crashing or anything unusual.

We are thinking it is most likely hardware or driver related but have not been able to resolve it.  Please post back here if anyone fixes it.

Thanks!

August 3rd, 2015 13:00

B-Mitch,

No. I am still spinning my wheels on this one. It's nearly impossible to replicate as it does not appear to be related to a specific application. Honestly I think my next step is to flatten it and see if something happened when I was imaging the machine. 

I tried this: 

http://gnawgnu.blogspot.com/2014/01/fix-for-wake-after-sleep-freeze-on-dell.html

but it did not resolve the issue for me. You may have better luck.

If you do find something, I am more that willing to try it out. 

Thanks

2 Posts

August 5th, 2015 05:00

Frustrating to see some of you who are still dealing with this issue.  My laptop continues to occasionally experience the freezing, again with complete randomness to it; recently I went about two weeks with no freezing occurring before it happened 3-4 times again over a couple day stretch, and now it's been good for the last week or so.  I've ran the same troubleshooting steps as you guys and have not seen anything out of the ordinary either.     

My next step is going to be deleting\reinstalling the video card and DisplayLink drivers on the machine, as I've seen issues with DL drivers in the past.

We are starting to roll out a lot more of these models across the firm, but I have yet to hear of anyone else who has experienced this problem so far.  I am sure that will change as more users receive them.  Hopefully you guys discover some kind of breakthrough on this problem, it is extremely frustrating.  Let's keep this thread updated with any latest developments. 

1 Message

August 26th, 2015 08:00

Did you find any solutions to this problem. I also have one of my e5550's experiencing the freeze up. I have 5 of them deployed so far and so far only one of them has the issue but it is happening daily and the end user is not happy about it.

August 31st, 2015 09:00

We are also experiencing this issue on a small subset of E5550s: 5 machines of 17 we've deployed since May.  Only two of these 5 have had multiple lock ups.  I've updated video drivers and disabled the memory card reader and updated the BIOS and removed our antivirus (Trend), but so far nothing has resolved it for us, either.  We've also tried moving the hard drive to a different unit, but the problem followed the drive, so it's not specifically motherboard related either.  Does anyone else have any ideas?

August 31st, 2015 09:00

We gave this a shot last week to see if it would help: http://en.community.dell.com/techcenter/enterprise-client/w/wiki/7534.dell-command-update

Waiting to see what results we get. The number of machines are growing.

September 9th, 2015 10:00

Upgrading the systems BIOS from A06 to A07, seems to have done the trick. Along with running the update from my previous post. 

Unsure as to the actual root of the problem. I did have a couple of systems Running Outlook 2013, and when searching, that would cause the system to lock up (64bit, Intel core I5, with 8gb ram). Disabling the Offline caching mode, and setting the search to search the current folder only has helped immensely. This particular set of users have unusually large archive files, and folders. 

As I have more updates I will post them. 

12 Posts

September 10th, 2015 12:00

Hi, who is the manufacturer of matrix?

1 Message

September 23rd, 2015 21:00

Dear Jennifer,

Quick question, my new Latitude E5550 has hanged also.

Please provide me asap instructions about how to reboot.

Is there a button or sequence of keys to press? Shall I open the back cover and unplug the Battery?

Need an urgent reply, woke up today 6am to finish urgent work and am stuck.

thanks and regards

September 24th, 2015 10:00

http://en.community.dell.com/techcenter/enterprise-client/w/wiki/7534.dell-command-update

The Dell Command Update seems to resolve this, and other issues for the most part. Since we started running this, we have had far fewer issues with the Latitudes. This has worked for our environment, perhaps it will work for yours. 

No Events found!