RE: Dell M.2 FAQ regarding AHCI vs RAID ON, Storage Drivers, M.2 Lanes, Performance and more

Greetings Florinbobea,

It depends on what chipset you have as the 5580 can come with either: Skylake vs. Kaby Lake.

Dell supports Windows 7 on Skylake

Dell has no support for Windows 7 on Kaby Lake

Which processor do you have?

If you have a Skylake system you need to make sure the following is true:

1. Boot mode set to UEFI

2. SATA operation set to AHCI

3. Legacy Options ROMs enable

4. Secure boot off

Justin C

Dell Technical Support L3 | Project Sputnik

Dell Support is also on Twitter! https://twitter.com/DellCaresPRO

0 Kudos

RE: Dell M.2 FAQ regarding AHCI vs RAID ON, Storage Drivers, M.2 Lanes, Performance and more

Dear Justin,

I was wondering if you could help me with the following regarding the use of a Samsung SSD Pro 960 for my XPS 8920 systems.

It has been known for awhile in the Community that RAID must be set to boot Windows 10 from this SSD. If AHCI is on, the system refuses to boot.

I have also been able to boot using RAID, with the SSD being installed directly to the M2 slot on the motherboard. However, if I try to use a PCIE adapter with it (and plug in a PCIE x4 or x16 lane), boot failure happens, even in RAID mode. For a reason, the SSD is still detected in BIOS, but with the weird size 185275945GB, instead of 1024GB. Note that if I install the SSD to the M2 slot and use AHCI mode, the same problem happens. My BIOS is 1.0.8, which is the latest.

Is there anyway I can do to overcome this  issue? I am OK with RAID, but I really want to use the PCIE adapter for my Samsung SSD Pro 960 rather than the M2 slot.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
lordpba
Copper

Hi all!

Please help me, I am stuck on a big problem from several days.

Here in the company where I work we have deployed about 100 Precision M5510 with internal M2 harddisk.

I need to create a full image (iso) of the hard disk as reference and also as complete backup in case of change hard disk. I will have to do this activity not only one times, but quite often.

We usually use Acronis2016 from a live USB. But on these machines is impossible to detect the hard disk M2.

We have tried all:

- Bios in legacy or UEFI

- SATA mode HCI, Raid, or even SATA disabled

How we can clone the hard disk of these machines?

We are really blocked on this...

Thanks a lot!

0 Kudos

@LittleBear84,

Based on your note that the issue is happening on the firmware level, I think it's fairly safe to conclude that there's a firmware compatibility issue between that specific drive's firmware and the system's BIOS.

I would recommend a different drive, like Samsung PM951.

@Lordpba,

I'm afraid that question is beyond my scope but I did some searching. This may help you out:

kb.acronis.com/.../15791

Justin C

etsrad1
Copper

Hey Justin...running into an issue here.  We bought a couple of XPS 8920's with Win 10 Pro and NVMe Hynix PC300 drive that came with it (it also came with a 2TB SATA drive but I unplugged it) , the OS had a bunch of software on it (McAfee, other stuff) so I reinstalled Win10 from scratch, now to do this I had to change it from RAID to AHCI to get the Win 10 install to recognize the NVMe drive and it seemed to work fine (I never changed it back to RAID)

Today I updated the BIOS to 1.0.9 and now Windows won't load, I tried AHCI and RAID settings, neither work...UEFI and Secure boot are ON

It get's past the Dell logo and gets to a "Media Present State, Media found" but then just errors out saying No disk found or something...

What should I do?

Note the BIOS (even the updated one) looks super old with no mouse control

I tried restoring BIOS to the old version using the instructions below but Alt+F and Alt+B doesn't do anything

http://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/19/sln245206/how-to-restore-the-bios--system-setup--defaults-on-a-dell-system?lang=en

UPDATE: I just reinstalled the OS (Still on AHCI), and then started to updated the Intel chipset and rebooted, that went fine and I got into Windows....I then tried to update the SSD driver and Intel Storage Adapter (through Dell's website) and it rebooted and now I am stuck again

UPDATE2: I think I figured out the issue....if you are reinstalling Win10 you HAVE to leave the settings to UEFI and RAID ON (I don't think it matters if SecureBoot is on or not), AHCI/Legacy will not work.

When you get to the Win10 install screen it won't find the NVMe disk but you can load the NVMe drivers through the link Justin mentioned above.  Once that is done it will finish the Win10 installation and you can safely update all the drivers (including BIOS to 1.0.9) and everything should work properly!

Greetings Etsrad1,

Keep in mind that in AHCI mode Windows is using stornvme driver, not IRST. I wouldn't recommend trying to update stornvme.

It seems like your reinstall media doesn't have the IRST driver on it. Here's what I would do:

1. Set the unit back to RAID on

2. Boot back up to the reinstall media and during the partition screen click 'load driver' The driver to load is listed below. I've shown it in extracted view for your convenience.

3. Load the driver then proceed to reinstall Windows

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/drivers/driversdetails?driverId=WTY4TP

Justin C

0 Kudos
vikram0136
Bronze

Hi, I have Dell 7577 with 256GB NVMe ssd but the write speed is slow 

this is my system info 

can anyone explain why in my system NVMe ssd is not under PCI Express x4 Bus , but the OP had it ?

0 Kudos

Seems to be very interesting

0 Kudos

@Vikram0136,

Thank you for your question.

What is the number of lanes shown when you click on the actual drive itself, within HWiNFO?

Justin C

0 Kudos
Gtabhuvan
Copper

I have encountered the same problem that i couldn't see sdd in the list

refer the below screenshot:

www.mediafire.com/.../IMG_20171113_150633024.jpg

I have even tried the above things of irst files copied to bootable driver and this is the screenshot

www.mediafire.com/.../IMG_20171113_233741060_HDR.jpg

the new folder from the above picture has both irstorac files and also the rapid storage driver.exe file .

but whenever i click on load driver i gives me an error

refer the screenshot for the error:

www.mediafire.com/.../IMG_20171113_233752449_HDR.jpg

i have downloaded the os from microsoft official site

made bootable using rufus tool

System model : Alienware 17 R3

Processor:i7 6700k Skylake

Ssd: pm951 Samsung 1024GB

Hdd : Hitachi 1024GB

I even tried calling the technical support they have suggested me to change to ahci mode.could i use the raid mode in my laptop.if yes , please get back to me at<Email id removed>

Thanking you ,

Bhuvan

<Email id removed>

0 Kudos