Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 12th, 2017 15:00

Dell Precision 7710 Backlit Keyboard Not Working

I bought a computer from the Dell Outlet that was dead on arrival. I sent it to the repair depot and they put a new motherboard (5RY82 - Motherboard) and video card (YM9KW - Graphics Card) in it then sent it back to me. I powered it up and everything worked except for the backlit keyboard. I called and Dell Support sent me a replacement backlit keyboard that I swapped in and the replacement does not light up either. I called Dell Support again and they sent me another backlit keyboard that also did not work. I don't know what to do at this point and could really use some help from a Dell Tech.

July 13th, 2017 03:00

Hi Kahjo,

The keyboard backlit doesn't work even when you toggle + keys?

please click my DELL-username and send me a Private Message with the Dell Service Tag number and your email address so that we can check on the system configuration.

5 Posts

July 17th, 2017 17:00

Adding another update. The onsite technician came today and put in another motherboard (3rd motherboard in this laptop) and another backlit keyboard (fourth backlit keyboard) and there is still no lighting on the keyboard. Even pressing the caps lock or mute keys do not illuminate their respective LEDs. What's worse is that now the microphone array doesn't work anymore and the keyboard bezel is creased in two places from being removed and replaced so many times.

When the laptop was in pieces, I noticed that both replacement motherboards are from a lot dated 10/27/2016. I am starting to suspect that Dell has a bad run of motherboards (or a bad run of keyboards). Or there is a bios/OS incompatibility that nobody has acknowledged yet.

The Dell outlet is shipping me ANOTHER refurbished 7710 with the same specs as mine. This will be the THIRD laptop from Dell since I ordered the first one back on June 3rd. Since my initial order six weeks ago, I still have not received a fully functioning laptop from the Dell Outlet.

I will update this post again when the third laptop comes. I told tech support to not even bother dispatching the laptop if they can't get the backlit keyboard working at the factory. Fingers crossed.

1 Message

July 18th, 2017 06:00

Hi I work in IT and just got my new 7710 from my company and it has same issue backlit keyboard doesn't work.

5 Posts

July 27th, 2017 15:00

I am so *** at Dell and am having an awful time. I ordered a laptop two months ago and they have been giving me the run-around ever since. Today I received a replacement laptop in the mail from Dell that DOESNT EVEN HAVE A BACKLIT KEYBOARD.

My current laptop with a broken backlit keyboard has a webcam, fingerprint sensor, M5000M NVIDIA Quadro, and a 1 TB SSD. The replacement they sent has no webcam, no fingerprint sensor, a 1 TB PLATTER DRIVE, and an M3000M. Why is it so hard for Dell to send me a proper replacement like they promised???? What do you do when you have received THREE COMPUTERS that are either broken or incorrect????? Dell PLEASE ESCALATE THIS TO A MANAGER, I JUST WANT MY LAPTOP WITH MY BACKLIT KEYBOARD.

5 Posts

July 31st, 2017 17:00

Yesterday, the same support person that I told that the replacement was wrong reached out again and sent me the tracking number for the replacement that I already told him was wrong and asked me if I received it. Sigh.

No Events found!