Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 24th, 2017 16:00

Dell Studio 1555 Screen Resolution after W10 Update

Prior to the latest W10 update today, my 2009 Dell Studio 1555 had a screen resolution of 1366x768. As soon as the update, a build to 1703, I lost the higher resolution and can only display 1024x728 or 800x600.  I went into the device manager and deleted the driver then downloaded the latest driver for the ATI 4500 series and installed it but to no avail. I'm currently restoring my image from a backup earlier this month, but even if that's successful, as soon as Windows 10 installs the latest update, I'll be be looking at ovals instead of circles. Any thoughts on how to proceed other than replacing an otherwise suitable, functioning laptop? Thanks in advance.

1 Message

November 25th, 2017 07:00

I have had  exactly the same problem yesterday (same computer, same age, update to build 1703),  I solved it by opening the device manager, making a right click to the amd driver, switching to properties, driver and choosing the button previous driver. The version 8.970.100.9001 was instantly installed and I could work right away with the 1366*768 resolution, no backup, no restart was necessary....Good Luck

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

November 25th, 2017 04:00

Is the driver for your laptop a Win10 driver?

You may want to search on the ATI website for a newer driver than the one on Dell.com

25 Posts

November 25th, 2017 05:00

The driver is, according to ATI, the latest for my laptop. I reverted to a saved image from earlier in November last night and all seemed fine. I figure that sometime today, the laptop will attempt to install the update again. It appears (?) that the update didn't recognize the display since I think the system thinks it's a generic. If the next update results in the same issue, I'll try updating from the device driver. If it says that the latest driver is installed, I don't know how to proceed.

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

November 25th, 2017 10:00

Newer drivers are not always better. I have a system with an Intel HD Graphics 4600 GPU and newer driver versions for years have had an issue where they’ll show an extra 4 displays that don’t exist if Hyper-V is installed, so I’ve had to disable automatic driver delivery via Windows Update in order to prevent my system from being broken constantly. Fortunately that option is available on the Pro versions of Windows.

No Events found!