Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 23rd, 2012 14:00

Dell Studio 1737 Not Starting UP, BSOD

Hi, every time I try to start up my Dell Studio 1737 I get the BSOD error '0x000000F4' or something(Piccy at bottom). This started happening after I went onto Intel's website and used this: 
http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/detect/graphics

I ran it and then downloaded the graphics card update it said to download, it all installed properly. I then went onto Dell's website and downloaded the free performance diagnostics tool. Google Chrome said it was malicious, but I figured it was from Dell's website so it must've been a mistake. After I downloaded and ran that the screen just went black. So I pushed the off button, then it wouldn't turn back on because of the BSOD.

Does anyone know how to fix this? 

Picture

http://img836.imageshack.us/img836/8263/img10011.jpg

P.s. I'm not sure whether this was the right place to put this topic though...

Oh, I forgot to mention that. It's Windows Vista installed. Dunno which service pack though.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

Jamieyates14,

Start, all programs, Windows Update

Update the computer to the latest Service pack. Have seen a brand new computer blue screen using Vista with an older service pack.

Rick

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

Jamieyates14,

Do you have Vista installed? Do you have the latest Service Pack?

Rick

June 23rd, 2012 15:00

Well, that's the thing. It doesn't start up. The bios loads and then the windows loading bar starts then the blue screen comes on.

3 Posts

June 24th, 2012 08:00

You might try running your install disk and doing a system restore (if it lets you get that far).

Oddly I have seen several instances where the updates are actually older than the drivers they are supposed to upgrade and sadly I have to say in most cases it is with the Intel drivers (for me getting them from Microsoft during updates).

If you can get back into Vista go and get the CPU-Z program at www.cpuid.com/.../cpu-z.html - it will properly identify your mainboard and more importantly the southbridge.

I believe that the update video driver might be changing the drivers for the southbridge - which in my experience seems to usually be the cause for the blue screen problem.

I hope it works for you.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

June 24th, 2012 12:00

Jamieyates14,

Shutdown the computer.

Unplug the computer from the wall.

Remove the battery.

Press and hold the power button for 30 seconds.

Plug the computer back in.

Power on the computer and tap repeatedly, like once a second, then F8 key.

Enter the safe mode with networking.

If you can enter, start, run, type

cmd

hit enter. type

chkdsk /r

hit enter. Then answer with a Y and restart your computer. Allow this to run and when it's finished, see if the computer willl start.

Rick

No Events found!