Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 12th, 2016 18:00

Dell XPS 15 9550 Screen Flicker BIOS

For some reason I get a screen flicker that is noticeable and irritating. It happens with every BIOS after 1.2.00. Not sure why, but if I want to get rid of screen flicker I have to back to BIOS 1.2.00. Has anyone else experienced this problem and/or found a fix? I think it is rather unacceptable for a $2,200 laptop with a 4K screen to have screen flicker issues and for it to continue to be a problem with the last three BIOS releases.

December 13th, 2016 00:00

Hi JPlugaru,

Thank you for reaching out to Dell Community Forum.

Please run the LCD BIST and check if the issue is replicated on this test:

http://dell.to/2eAaCRn

Please click my DELL-username and send me a Private Message with the Dell Service Tag number and your email address.

Note: please don't mention the service tag or email id on the public forum as it contains your personal information

1 Message

December 16th, 2016 02:00

Was this issue resolved and if yes, could you please let me know what the solution is? I have the same problem after updating the BIOS to the latest version. I thought this issue would be fixed in the last few months - but no, it still persists. I might have to rollback the BIOS to an older version if there is no solution.

10 Posts

December 16th, 2016 06:00

Still working on the issue. I'll let you know what the solution ends up being.

8 Posts

December 19th, 2016 08:00

Same problem here! Have a new 9550 but made in 11/2015.

Screen flickers every few seconds for no reason.

Made the BIST and sent a PM to Akshatha M. Hopefully there will be a solution since many people seem to experience screen flickering with the 9550.

Great laptop by the way!

Michael

December 19th, 2016 19:00

I have a brand new Dell Inspiron 7579 7th Generation Inel Core i7-7500 U Processorwith Intel HD Graphics 620 and whilst setting it up last Thursday after a few hours this flickering started. It still happens sporadically. I have a job logged in with DELL and we are troubleshooting. Not very happy as it is brand new and I have already spent many hours setting it up. Is anyone having a flickering problem like this - goo.gl/.../gS4VwnfoaGiC6Eea6

I have been trying to sort out if it is the graphic drivers, something to do with Adobe Lightroom which I use all the time or something else.

10 Posts

December 21st, 2016 13:00

My screen flicker is a subtle flicker every 10 seconds or so. What you have is pretty extreme

10 Posts

May 4th, 2017 12:00

The funny part is that I returned the computer for a full refund. I was discovering new problems with it even in the final hours of ownership while I was wiping it clean. Dell support was clueless the entire the entire time I worked with them which was about 4 months. Now I understand why it's called XPS. Sure was an Xtreme Piece of *** of a laptop and Dell has continued to proved me right that it's a trash company. I will never have an experience as awful as this ever again.

3 Posts

May 4th, 2017 12:00

The flickering problem was driving me nuts. I tried lots of different versions of the Intel video driver, including 20.19.15.4483 and other ones that required manual installations. I also uninstalled the Intel applications on my 9550 except for the driver, the Rapid Storage Technology, and the Serial IO.

I was just about ready to give up and sell the 9550 when I tried one last possible solution and  finally found a driver that tames the flickering problem to the point at which it's tolerable:

I got it by using Device Manager to

1. Update the driver software to the most recent version.

2. Roll back the driver software.

You may be able to download the driver and install it but why bother?

15 Posts

May 4th, 2017 18:00

@Balrog49, your post is listed as a suggested answer, but the answer you provided stated that it did not eliminate the flicker for you; instead it just made it "tolerable". If that's the case, then it's not actually a solution than it is a suggestion.

The accurate way to tell if it's a placebo effect that the flicker is "reduced" would be to record when you actually flicker. Otherwise, the rate of flickering might actually be the same and you've grown accustomed to it.

1 Message

May 5th, 2017 15:00

I have similar feelings towards Dell. I bought the XPS 15 three months ago, because I wanted high end laptop for work and I didn't want to switch from PC to Apple. Dell has this good name, everyone says it's so reliable plus the support is just great.... Haha what a load of ***.

First - I had to spend one hour with the online support right after I got it because battery lasted two hours. This time they helped me, but a start like this isn't something you expect when you pay money like this. I mean...you pay money like this because you don't want to spend your time making it work, right. At least I do, that's why I'm willing to pay extra money for a premium laptop.

Couple of weeks ago the display started flickering. First I was like yeah, whatever, because it just happened a few times after I started the computer. But it was annoying and I kept saying to myself "why the *** am I paying premium money when I just can't trust this thing". So I went online with the online support. The guy suggested reinstalling Windows and updating Bios. He promised me to send some email with links and stuff. But of  course he never did. Anyways I reinstalled Windows and updated Bios. It helped. For a couple of days. Now the flickering is back and I'm very, very frustrated. I'm decided to get rid of this ridiculous thing. The laptop looks good, that's right. 4K display is beautiful. But since I can't trust this thing and rightfully so, it's just useless. I could give it to kids to play games on it but I just don't want any Dell at home any more. All my colleagues use MacBooks and those things just work, it's reliable and you can focus on the actual work and not spending your time trying to make your expensive laptop work.

My fault, I know, but I will never buy anything from Dell again.

10 Posts

May 6th, 2017 19:00

The mind blowing part about all of this is that you spend $2,000 on a computer and it has more problems than one you can find for $300 at WalMart. People above are practically saying to live with the problem and try not to mind it so much. Really?? You spend all this money on a computer and you have to live with the problems? Terrible, straight up awful. My solution to this is a 15" Space Gray Macbook Pro that I will be taking delivery of in a couple of weeks. Dell is trash and Michael Dell is a tax-evading $chmuck

December 18th, 2017 02:00

I can't remember what I did that finally solved this problem 12 months ago, but 10 days ago on the Thursday night I got a hard drive critical error and gave Dell Support remote access - they changed some things on the laptop and confirmed it needed a new hard drive. They then got me to write a restore image to a USB but afterwards everything started to flicker again.

I got the shits trying to use it that weekend  to process hundreds of photos and ended up doing a System Restore to the day before they changed anything and the flickering was gone again.

Then the new hard drive arrived and was installed and stupid me had done the usb image when it had the flickering image so it is back again and the external monitor blinks on an off very frequently and the laptop itself has the flickering on the right hand side.

]

I have googled and googled trying to solve this issue yet again.

I have tried everything that I have come across and changed hdmi cable, all drivers are completely uptodate, it flickers/blinks in task manager.

I use Adobe Lightroom all the time and it is even worse with that open.

No Events found!