Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

A

26 Posts

July 4th, 2008 00:00

Dell Xps M1530 touchpad problems

I have heard this a frequent issue with the Dell Xps M1530, and well, I have got it too, i had laptop in vista with screen closed overnight with power options set to "do nothing" and i opened the lid the next morning and the cursor just moved all arround the screen randomly (im running A08Rev of bios) Also in linux the touchpad works very poorly, and stops repsonding after a while, requiring the user to take hand off touchpad and try again, somehow its very hard to move the cursor upwards, but easy to move it downwards. Other than that im happy with this laptop

4 Posts

July 4th, 2008 10:00

A lot of touchpad problems are usually caused by static. Best thing to do is switch the laptop off, remove the battery, unplug from mains, and pressing the on/off button about twenty times or holding it down for about 30 seconds. Replug everything back in and everything should be OK. This procedure discharges capacitors etc which may still be  holding charge when the laptop is switched off.

July 6th, 2008 21:00

You don't say which version of Linux you're running, but if it's Ubuntu or any of the other ones based upon it, there is a touchpad solution.  I'm dual booting XP and Ubuntu 8.04-- separate partitions.  

Check out some of the Linux forums and they will help you there.  It seems to me it involves editing the xorg.conf file but I don't remember the specifics enough to tell you.  Let me see if I can find the link  . . .  I think I have it.  READ EVERYTHING before you go mucking about in Linux if you don't know what you're doing.  And believe me, I DON'T, but I followed the instructions to the very letter and mine works.  You will find the the scrolling works randomly-- sometimes, sometimes not, but at least the cursor isn't all over the place.

Here's the link:  http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=737060

Hope this helps--

Also, there's a forum for Dell Laptop users on the Ubuntu forum-- very helpful for dealing with these beasts.  They will also help you to get your wireless working!  Good luck!   

26 Posts

July 7th, 2008 14:00

Ok, i will take a Look at that when i get some time, I had allready done the edit to grub.conf so I could get it to stop moving all over the place randomly, I have everything else working 100% on this laptop in linux (even fingerprint reader) soon I will move the current SuSE install to gentoo (my favorite distro) Other than that touchpad, this laptop rocks in linux ^^

1 Message

July 8th, 2008 15:00

I have another problem with my xps1530 touchpad.

The settings I have made in the control panel reset after every restart of my notebook so I have to change the speed and so on every time I use my computer.

How can I solve this problem?

No Events found!