Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 5th, 2012 12:00

Dell laptop - Touchpad disabled. How do I fix it?

I have a Dell laptop, and now when I start up, it notifies me that my touch pad has been disabled.

How do I fix this?

Russ

46 Posts

June 1st, 2012 19:00

Hi Rawbrush

Welcome to the Dell community.

Depending on the system model, you can perform the following key combinations to enable / disable the touchpad

1. Fn+F3 or simply F3

2. Some system have a separate key on the right of F12 key with a picture of a touchpad and X on it which enables and disables the touchpad

3. Remove the battery and the adaptor from the system and any external devices, then press and hold the power/ start button for 30 seconds and release. Then start the system. This works many times

Please revert back with your observation.

Glad to assist you.

Sumer

Social Outreach Professional

You can reach us at http://en.community.dell.com

(edited)

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

March 5th, 2012 13:00

Open Windows Mobility Center or Quickset to enable it. You should mention your model computer and operating system when posting.

2 Posts

June 1st, 2012 18:00

I have the same problem.. except every time I boot my computer or log back from the screen saver, y keypad is disabled automatically. This just started happening 2 days ago - How do I fix this please? Note; your answer to the other person isn't really going to cut it for me - I have to have a mouse hooked into the laptop to use Quickset.

I have a Dell XPS L502X Laptop running Windos 7 Ultimate.

2 Posts

June 3rd, 2012 00:00

Hi Sumer

I pressed the F3 key a few times and it seems to be all working properly again. I will use that key agina in future if the problem re-occurs.

Thank you fro your help

1 Message

June 11th, 2012 05:00

I have a dell laptop the touch pad doesn't functioning it works with external mouse but not with touch pad please tell me what i am going todo

1 Message

September 9th, 2015 01:00

I have a Dell Latitude running Windows 7 Enterprise.  I disabled the Touch pad but have no mouse.  I can

access the Touchpad screen and/or the touchpad tab on the Mouse dialog window but cannot activate the buttons or click the Change Touchpad settings because the touchpad is disabled.  I tried fn keys but no success. Any help?

1 Message

March 11th, 2016 09:00

Thank you. Point 2 worked for me!

1 Message

March 29th, 2016 00:00

Thanks for the post.

1 Message

May 18th, 2016 21:00

Were you able to solve this problem? I am having the same.

1 Message

July 30th, 2016 06:00

my dell inspiron14 laptop touchpad has been disabled how can I enable

No Events found!