Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

17 Posts

September 7th, 2007 00:00

Dell resellers and warranty - BEWARE

I usually think of myself as a smart buyer, but, I never saw this coming. Last Dec I bought a "refurbished" D620 from an Ebay reseller thinking I would save a few dollars. There was none of this model for sale on the outlet site at that time so that was another factor. Here we are nine months later and I have power problems with the notebook. It shutdown unexpectedly and would not reboot. I tried everything I could on my own. I removed every drive, card, and device I could from the unit (including battery) and it still would not reboot. After doing this I sent an email to tech support for help. The response was that there is a "red flag hold?" on the unit and I would have to get in touch with the reseller I bought it from to get it lifted. I called customer service and discussed it with the rep and got the same response. Tried a chat session with tech support and got the same. The reseller will not return my email so I don't think he will be of any help. I just want someone to tell me if this problem can be fixed or do I trash this piece of...this notebook. I can't get any tech rep at Dell to even suggest a solution to my problem. I don't care about a warranty - just help a faithful Dell user that has a company full of desktops and notebooks bought from Dell. One indiscretion and I can't get help.Bottom line to this and the reason for the title, I will NEVER buy a tech product from Ebay whether he is a "powerseller" or whatever.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

September 7th, 2007 01:00

I would guess a "red flag hold" means Dell never received payment from the original buyer - i.e., the account went to a collection agency and was never recovered.

Technical procedure:

Unplug the AC adapter from the system. Verify that the LED on the power supply is ON. If it is not, replace it.

If the LED is on, reseat the RAM, drives, cards and battery in the system. If it won't power up thereafter, the mainboard is faulty; you won't get service from Dell, so you can buy a board from a Dell parts seller (expect $400-500) and either install it yourself or have a shop to the install.

September 7th, 2007 11:00

Bottom line
NEVER BUY FROM E-BAY
I would never buy from any one on there site

17 Posts

September 7th, 2007 13:00

Thank you for your kind response. Just to reaffirm my steps, I removed any and all drives, memory, cards, and battery. Even the memory under the keyboard. I checked to be sure that the LED on the power supply itself was on and then plugged it into the notebook. When the power button is pressed the power LED on the notebook glows for about 3 seconds and goes out, no bootup. Same thing after reinstalling all that was removed. On your point about the red flag you could very well be right. But, why should Dell penalize me for something that another party did. I bought the notebook in good faith with no knowledge of any wrong doing on the sellers part. I am disappointed in Dell for not separating the user from the seller. And this reseller still has a store on Ebay full of Dell notebooks. I am not directing my comments at you, I appreciate the time you took to respond. I am just venting. Beware of Dell resellers and any warranty you think you have, it may not be there when you need it most. Dell may not help in any case.

September 7th, 2007 13:00

After looking at your trouble shooting steps it looks like you have a bad mother board
I have seen this a number of times before replacing the board solved the problem

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

September 7th, 2007 16:00

I would agree the mainboard is bad.

No manufacturer will support products obtained other than through authorized resellers or direct from itself - try buying a gray-market Canon camera and obtaining service from Canon. You can't - they won't support you even though it's their camera.

The same goes for any system purchased other than from Dell or a Dell-authorized seller such as Wal-mart - your support/recourse is through the seller, not to Dell.

950 Posts

September 7th, 2007 17:00

You did not say or I missed it but what warranty did the Ebay seller offer? If it had no Dell warranty Dell would not offer you anything anyway. Many laptop Ebay sellers will say sold as is no returns. So check back on what the terms of your purchase were. I say part out the laptop or search ebay for same mobo to replace it. Dell's out of warranty tech support is lousy and worthless as bad as other makers. They used to at least offer free technical advice.

17 Posts

September 7th, 2007 18:00

When I was considering this notebook the Ebay seller posted the service tag number in the description of the item. I went to the Dell Support site and checked for any remaining warranty for the service tag. It was still under the original warranty until 4/16/07, too late for this. However, there was a Next Business Day Warranty bought with this when it was new that was not supposed to end until 4/09. That warranty, however was removed by the reseller according to Dell. In order to get it reinstated, the reseller would have to do it. It's just a Catch-22 for me. At the end of it all Dell just won't help with any tech support without a warranty of some kind in place. I agree with you, the motherboard is toast. Still leaves a bad taste in your mouth for Dell.

1.5K Posts

September 7th, 2007 19:00

hcross818

You purchased the system from a third party, we have a flag on the system (That could mean almost anything from nonpayment to the system is stolen). You call us and can't get service because of this flag, the reseller won't return your e-mail and you blame Dell?

1.5K Posts

September 7th, 2007 20:00

hcross818

We have rules about supporting systems that are flagged, depending on why, I know it seems harsh but do you want some thug getting support on the system he stole from your Grandma last week?

17 Posts

September 7th, 2007 20:00

I don't blame Dell for not honoring a warranty that a questionable third party reseller has removed through some means that I had no control over nor knowledge of. I don't blame Dell for the reseller not returning email requests for help. I DO blame Dell for not having any empathy for a loyal Dell customer that has 50 desktop and notebook PC's being used in 5 branches throughout our company. It seems that one tech could take five minutes out of their very busy day and help a customer with a problem. I want no warranty reimbursement. I want no free parts. Just a little help. I'm not picky. Email or chat would be just fine. Don't worry. We have committed ourselves to Dell. I have already replaced the boat anchor formally known as a notebook computer so work can continue. I know 50 units may not sound like very many, but, we are not using any other brand. I don't think that it is asking too much for just a little help. Oh, wait, that's all I got. Stupid me.

1.5K Posts

September 7th, 2007 22:00

hcross818

If it was flagged stolen you most likely would have already had a visit by the nice folks in uniform. Put your service tag into your profile and I'll look into it. I may not be able to tell you anything (if it involves private information about the original purchaser) but I'll check.

17 Posts

September 7th, 2007 22:00

If there is a question of theft involving this unit just let me know. So far I have gotten no reason why this unit is red flagged. You say service can be withheld depending on the reason for the hold. I think it highly unlikely that a reseller on Ebay, that is still conducting business, is selling stolen units. I will ask it point blank. Does Dell think that I am asking for help repairing stolen property? If refusing technical help on a unit listed as stolen is the only reason for a refusal, then why can't I get some help. Is there ever a case when Dell gives support for units no longer covered under warranty? I know that the chances of getting a technical representative to offer any advise on my problem is less than zero. This is the chance for some real goodwill to be shown to a good customer in need and Dell is letting go by. Too bad. The guy I bought the notebook from only stole my company's money. Dell is stealing my company's confidence in Dell.

610 Posts

September 9th, 2007 08:00

I can't help with your machine problem, but what screen name does the seller use? You can message me back with it.
No Events found!