Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 15th, 2010 20:00

Disable Webcam

Anyone suggest a way to disable the integrated webcam in an Inspiron 1521?

5.2K Posts

February 16th, 2010 08:00

You will need to uninstall the Dell Webcam Manager and Center. Why do you want to disable it? It doesn't do anything till you turn it on.

February 16th, 2010 09:00

You will need to uninstall the Dell Webcam Manager and Center. Why do you want to disable it? It doesn't do anything till you turn it on.

Hey, Kirk! :-)

I never use the webcam, being not-a-very-handsome old geezer.

I also get less-than-stellar graphics performance when running some programs, especially Rome Total War , and so wanted to be sure I've turned off all non-essential services to free up memory and to ease demands on the processor. [I also turn off the Wi-Fi receiver while running the game, so I can temporarily disable BitDefender's AV module, and set it to Game Mode so it won't interfere with pop-up warnings about port scans.]

I don't know that disabling the webcam will actually have much impact, but since it is, for me at least, a functionally useless feature, turning it off seems like the thing to do, unless it would cause problems with the system.

I'll probably also try a ready-boost USB drive, though I've heard that also doesn't usually help much in many cases, but every little bit might help.

Thanks for the info!

5.2K Posts

February 16th, 2010 09:00

If you have Nvidia graphics, you should look into the power settings to make sure everything is maxed. There is a power savings setting that should be set to DISABLED for max performance, and you should set the maximum and minimum in Processor Management to 100% so the CPU won't clock down when demand is slow. Clock-up is probably fast enough to avoid stuttering, but  it might not be under some conditions.

No Events found!