Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 16th, 2017 18:00

Downloading drivers

So my Dell Inspiron 1545 hard drive crashed, and installed a new one. While using the certified Dell drivers CD that came with the laptop, I get error messages stating audio, and other drivers cannot be installed due to software is not digitally authentic, license required.

What's up with that ? Why is this ? This is a Dell Driver CD

• 

16.7K Posts

December 18th, 2017 08:00

DJMARCH,

What is the Operating System you are installing on this computer? Did you install all the service packs for the OS? When installing Drivers on the 1545 you must install them in the correct order. The first one you need to install is the chipset driver and reboot the computer.

Inspiron 1545 Drivers, Downloads and Manuals

Drivers FAQ and Tutorials

16 Posts

December 18th, 2017 15:00

The Dell I purchased years ago came with Vista OS. Since then I had bought W8.1 online through my Microsoft account which would be a digital license correct ? And then downloaded W10 when became available. Installed Vista OS after replacing hard drive. No problem with Dell drivers as well. Microsoft has completely divorced itself from Vista. That's the problem. It won't even allow me to do a windows update or explorer to download my digital license of W10 or 8. It's been a good laptop all these years until the hard drive issue.

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

December 18th, 2017 16:00

If you previously downloaded and installed Windows 10, your system would have received a "digital entitlement" license at that time, which means that Microsoft knows that your specific system is allowed to run Windows 10.  That means that from now on, you can perform a clean install of Windows 10 again whenever you want, no need to start with Vista and upgrade to newer releases to get there.  I would recommend just doing that, and you can get Windows 10 directly from Microsoft by just Googling "Download Windows 10 ISO".  The top hit will be a Microsoft page where you'll download a tool that will allow you to create a bootable disc or USB flash drive.  And if your system originally shipped with Vista, you'll probably find that Windows 10 already has built-in support for most or all of the hardware in that system anyway, and if not, Windows Update will probably fill in the gaps, and then you don't have to use a drivers CD that was made several years ago.

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

December 18th, 2017 16:00

But to answer your original question, it sounds like the error you're referring to is about the drivers not being digitally signed, or perhaps the digital signature being invalid.  The issue is probably that the certificate that authenticated the digital signature has expired by now.  Vista is quite old by now, after all, and certificates aren't good forever.  If the certificate that validates the digital signature is expired, then the digital signature itself is considered invalid.  There's no way around that except to get newer drivers that are signed using a certificate that is still valid.  Or as I said, just create Windows 10 media using the method I described above, erase your new hard drive, and perform a clean installation of Windows 10 instead.

No Events found!