Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 29th, 2012 09:00

E6420 CPU Upgrade

We have an E6420 XFR laptop with the i3 CPU option. Whats the highest spec CPU that will fit?

The XFR version of the laptop only has three options - i3 2310M ,i5 2520M, & i7 2640M. The non-XFR version has options including the i7 2760QM, but only in conjunction with the nVidia graphics.

Will the QM version fit the XFR - the CPU socket (G2) is the same, but is there something else that makes it incompatible? 

Thanks.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

August 16th, 2016 15:00

The 2630QM may work - the 3610QM won't.  The 3000 series is Ivy Bridge, one generation newer than the 2000 (Sandy Bridge).  You'd need an E6430 for the Ivy Bridge - the E6x20s support only Sandy Bridge.

6 Posts

September 23rd, 2016 09:00

I can now confirm that the Intel i7 2630QM chip does work in the E6420 xfr.

And the computer can be upgraded to 16gb, at least with this chip it can.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

September 24th, 2016 08:00

That requires a replacement mainboard, heatsink and if you have a 65W AC adapter, a replacement power adapter that's 90W or better.

3 Posts

January 22nd, 2013 00:00

I am curious as well about the ability to upgrade the CPU. I have the i7 version of the E6420 and would love to be able to switch to a quad core i7 as as opposed to the dual core that I currently have. I am also curious on whether I can go beyond 8GB of RAM...

January 22nd, 2016 12:00

I'm running one 8 gig plus one 4 gig stick with no issues.

Note: A21 BIOS

April 17th, 2016 22:00

As best as I can tell, the spec sheet limits the RAM to 8GB but, I believe I read somewhere else that it can be upgraded to 16GB. A guy on this thread says he has an 8GB and a 4GB (asymmetrical) dual channel memory configuration on his E6420 so, I'm thinking it may be worth the risk, if you believe you will need that much ram. I don't believe serious gamers need that much RAM on their laptop and, this is no gaming rig. Video editing can use a bunch of ram but, again, that tends to be a very graphics heavy process, which this laptop is not an ideal platform for editing on. For most everyday uses, 8GB of RAM is plenty. Also, considering the price spike, I would not look to upgrade the CPU beyond the i7 2630QM quad core. Plenty of mobile power and, a more affordable price range (currently sub $180 on both eBay and Amazon websites for new / like new, and used very good.)

I'm not so sure about Intel memory controllers versus AMD's, (I'm more familiar with AMD's) but, I don't think there is any benefit to buying DDR3-12800 ram, beyond a small higher potential resale value, since the laptop's are only rated for the DDR-10600; the extra speed is just wasted. You can use the DDR-12800, since it is backward compatible with slower speed limitations of older controllers, you just won’t get the full potential out of them.

April 17th, 2016 23:00

I have recently come to own one of these laptops (factory refurbished) and, in looking for affordable performance upgrades, I had the same question about getting a good, workable, i7 CPU upgrade, (mine came with the i5 2520m CPU installed.) Unfortunately, I was not able to find anything on the motherboard from the Dell website beyond their own part number for the MB. I went to the CPU upgrade site, (www.cpu-upgrade.com/.../NC9BU-HM67.html), and, it appears that there are only a limited number of MB manufacturers for the Sandy Bridge version socket G2 motherboards. Basing my compatibility search on the oldest motherboards compatibility chart, I came up with the best quad core for the money being the i7 2630QM. (You can find a few of them now on eBay for under $80.00, "buy it now," with free shipping. And, they are selling like new / very good condition on Amazon for under $150.)

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Core+i7-2630QM+%40+2.00GHz&id=873

The socket compatibility for the i7 2760QM doesn't seem to match the 2011 motherboard's PGA988B socket type either. It may well also be a socket G2 "compatible" but, the PassMark website reports the socket to be BGA1023 rather than the PGA988B. (I believe this is a difference in revision for the MB's chipset, with the BGA1023 being intended for the Ivory Bridge CPU types and the PGA988B being intended for the Sandy Bridge CPU types; the Sandy Bridge CPU's being 2nd gen.) The newer CPU's are most likely not compatible with the Latitude E6420’s older chipset.

6 Posts

August 16th, 2016 14:00

I looked up on passmark's website and I found that the i7 2630QM and the i7 3610QM both have the same socket type as the i5 2520M that comes in my laptop.  Has anyone installed or does anyone know if the i7 3610QM will work in a e6420 xfr?

6 Posts

August 16th, 2016 15:00

Thank you

6 Posts

September 23rd, 2016 12:00

I may have posted to soon.

After doing a system test on the dell websitethe computer is now messing up.

I am getting distortion all across the screen.

Horizontal lines, flashing, static(white noise, visual), then the computer restarts or shuts down.

I do not know if this is in relation to the cpu or if the test blew out the video card.

I will swap the i5 chip back in and see if the problem is still there.

3 Posts

September 24th, 2016 07:00

What about being able to change out the graphics card from Intel to Nvidia?

3 Posts

September 24th, 2016 08:00

I was just being hopeful... Really the main question was to move over to a quad core machine. By doing the CPU change and moving to 16G, that would make for a fine server for my virtual guests...

December 25th, 2016 11:00

Hi,  I have a Latitude E6420 with a i7-2760QM 2.4 ghz.  I can't afford to upgrade the machine right now.  It needs repairs (LCD & Keyboard and such) and I am considering having the processor upgraded at the same time.  I saw some motherboard - processor bundles at a decent price.  Has anyone upgraded their E6420 motherboard - processor with a CPU with a clock speed higher than i7-2960XM 2.7 ghz.  The i7-2960XM processor shows to be compatible with the current E6420 motherboard.  Thanks for reading my post!!!

17 Posts

August 1st, 2017 22:00

Reply to DangItDave posting on 17 Apr 2016 23:21

I agree with you.  But, in my DELL Latitude E6420, I am now running 16GB (8GB x 2) DD3-12800 5-Volt SO-DIMM memory just fine.  Sometimes, the newer memory is actually cheaper because production and demand is higher.  So yes, you may be running a sports car in Volkswagen mode, but is working just fine for me.  I am using Corsair Vengeance memory for second and third generation processors; the big deal there is that the memory is 1.5V.  Newer generation computers run on 1.3V, I believe.

I should note that I am a software engineer / architect.  So, the more memory the better for my situation.  Microsoft Visual Studio eats up a good chunk of memory these days.  And, with all the development tools and office applications I might have open, this memory upgrade is a must.  For the general user, 16GB might be overkill.  This model is not considered a gamer class machine by today's standards; my E6420 did come with a secondary video adapter with 500MB of dedicated video RAM which is a nice feature for developers or software engineers.  It might even suffice for some gaming applications.  500MB of VRAM for an external monitor and 16GB of SO-DIMM (DRAM) seems like a great combination to me.  And, I have upgraded my hard drive to 1TB 7200RPM which is also a great plus.

My only major issue left might be my processor: Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2640M CPU @ 2.80GHz, 2801 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s).  Upgrading to a Quad Core processor could be beneficial.

I also want to add a PCI-e card for at least 2 additional USB 3.0 ports.  And, I may add a hard drive caddy to replace the DVD-ROM which I think runs on a legacy USB 2.0 bus.  Then I think will be done with upgrades for this unit.

James Sigler

Dallas, TX

No Events found!