Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 5th, 2016 14:00

Excel scrolling issues on second monitor (Dell XPS 15 9550 & Dell U2717D)

We're encountering scrolling issues with Excel 2013 (and 2016).

What we mean by that is graphic distortions (blocks of black) appearing on the worksheet during the scroll action.

It happens almost exclusively on the externally attached monitor.

Even after the scrolling action is finished the blocks of blacks will persist and will obscure the data in the cells. Generally only opening the worksheet anew will correct the issue (until scrolling is once again initiated)

This is on a new Dell XPS 15 (9550) running Windows 10.
The monitor is a Dell U2717D connected via the HDMI.

We've done quite a bit of troubleshooting but before describing in detail we wanted to know if anybody had seen something similar?

1 Message

October 20th, 2016 05:00

Yep - I'm getting exactly the same problems with an XPS13 running windows 10, MS office 2016, with a Dell U2515H monitor; seems to happen when excel window on second screen is full-screen or near-full-screen; if I make the window smaller, it seems to resolve.

A response from Dell on this would be helpful as it is proving extremely inconvenient.

1 Message

October 24th, 2016 13:00

Sorry not to have an answer, but my 9550 is doing the same thing using excel (windows 365 local install) on an external 4k monitor. it didn't seem to do it on an older HD monitor.

Additionally, scrolling / highlighting in excel is REALLY slow. i.e I move the mouse and then I can see the highlighting catch up with the cursor. This happens on the laptop and external.

3 Posts

October 24th, 2016 22:00

Hey guys so with the help of a colleague I was able to come up with a solution.

It was a two parter solution (doing only one of the two will not work).

First is go to the vendor site (not Dell but actual Intel's website) and download the latest graphics driver for your chipset. You may have to force install the driver as you may get prompted that the install cannot occur because you need to get the update from Dell (but Dell only has old drivers). You can follow the instructions here on how to manually install a driver:

forums.beamdog.com/.../how-to-forcibly-update-your-intel-drivers-at-your-own-risk

Then, change the scaling on the monitor in question from 100% to 125% or something a bit bigger until the scrolling issue stops. Here is how to set the scaling.

www.thurrott.com/.../windows-10-feature-focus-display-scaling

This worked for me on the external 1440p monitor. Depending on your monitor's resolution your scaling change may be different.

3 Posts

March 28th, 2017 05:00

I have same exact problem with Dell XPS 9560 with a 4k external monitor. The funny thing is when i use 4k external monitor, there is lag and black problem on the external monitor. When I have only 4K external monitor in use, there is no such a problem

No Events found!