Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 30th, 2012 19:00

Failed re-install of XP on new hard drive: i386\asms, I/O device error

I recently had a hard drive crash on my Inspiron E1505.  I put in new hard drive and began the long install process using the disk that came from Dell.  This disk worked fine last time I used it to re-install XP on a reformatted hard drive.  The disk does not have any scratches on it.  It is the original disk from Dell, not a copy.  Hard drive formats fine.  During XP install, at the 39 minutes remaining mark, I get the following:

SXS.DLL: Syntax error in manifest or policy file "D:\i386\asms\52\MSFT\Windows\net\DXMRTP\DXMRTP.MAN" on Line 5.

Error log says: Installation failed: D\i386\asms.  Error Message: The request could not be performed because of an I/O Device error.

Looking around the various web forums, there are clearly lots of related problems with XP installs, but I did not find anywhere anything conclusive that actually worked.  Can anyone tell me or direct me to an explicit solution that works?

3.8K Posts

September 30th, 2012 21:00

Hi,

Welcome to the Community. Press the F2 key to enter the Bios, move down to Maintenance and select Load Defaults press enter, select Continue and press enter, ESC to save changes and exit, and then try installing windows.

Thank you.

No Events found!