Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 6th, 2017 19:00

Headset with Microphone

Hi,

I am using Dell Inspiron 14 7000 series. It only has a 1 combo headphone / microphone jack and I have a headset with an external microphone that I need for Skype tutorials and interviews. My headset have a separate headset and microphone connector. Do I need to change my headset and what to what kind? Any suggestion? If it is possible to use the one that I already have, is there something I can purchase to connect both the headphone and microphone connector in the combo jack of my dell laptop? Thank you and God bless.

June 7th, 2017 01:00

Hi ImeeJanFlores,

Thank you for writing to Dell Community Forum.

You would need to use a headset with in-built microphone. You can select any model which best suits your purpose.

If you have any query, please click my DELL-username and send me a Private Message with the Dell Service Tag number and your email address.

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

June 7th, 2017 05:00

Do I need to change my headset and what to what kind?

Hello. If you get a new headset to use with your laptop's combo jack, it should have a single 3.5mm plug with 4 metal segments and 3 bands, that looks like this:

It is also known as a TRRS plug (tip/ring/ring/sleeve).

Any suggestion?

Dell has not published a list mics that have been tested with your model, or with any of its laptops. I don't have a list either. Good idea to read the reviews before buying any particular mic, and make sure the seller has a good return policy..

If it is possible to use the one that I already have, is there something I can purchase to connect both the headphone and microphone connector in the combo jack of my dell laptop?

There are 2 ways to use the one you have, in theory. One way is to get a usb audio jack, that looks like this:

As you can see, there is a separate port for the headphones and for the mic. These things are very inexpensive and there is a variety of them for sale at Amazon. I do not recommend any specific one. I would go with the highest rated.

The usb audio jack is not a simple adapter. It is a self contained audio system that is separate from your laptop's internal Realtek audio system. Instead of the Realtek audio driver, it uses the Windows native usb audio driver. On the plus side, that means that you avoid the overly complex Realtek/Waves software. On the negative side, you don't get to use that software if you want it, unless you switch back to the Realtek system. You would do that by unplugging the usb jack, or by changing the default audio device in the Windows Sound control panel.

The other way to use your existing headset is to get a splitter cable, that looks like this:

Notice the TRRS plug. These are simple adapters with no circuitry. However, we have gotten a lot of negative reports about them. Some people have had good luck with them, others not, so if you get one make sure it's from someplace with a good return policy, in case it doesn't work for you. Amazon has some versions of these too, and you can read the reviews there. They are sold under the name "Headset Buddy" and others.

No Events found!