Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 28th, 2012 03:00

I Can't turn on wifi on dell vostro 1014

June 4th, 2012 17:00

Hi Sharad_vaddoriya,

Welcome to the Community.

I would like to inform you can turn on the wireless radio on your Vostro 1014 by pressing the Fn and F2 keys together. This is common for any dell laptop. If you are still having issues with the wireless, check in the device manager for any bangs on the wireless driver. The wireless driver should be listed under network adapter in device manager, if it is listed under other devices it means that the wireless adapter is missing needs to be reinstalled.

You can reinstall the wireless drivers from www.support.dell.com

The direct link for the Vostro 1014 drivers: http://dell.to/AidgTv

Please respond in case you need any further assistance or clarification.

Glad to help!

Abhishek Banerjee

Social Outreach Professional

You can reach us at: www.en.community.dell.com

13 Posts

June 4th, 2012 19:00

well, actually, i have vostro1014 and the keys are Fn+F11 (and not F2)

you can also just try turning on the wifi card through the OS and not via hotkeys.

in windows go to: start > run > ncpa.cpl > double-click the wireless connection (if it appears there)

in ubuntu11 it's up on the taskbar.

if it doesn't appear or won't work, it might be a driver problem.

the drivers on the Dell site aren't always fitting (at least the ones for XP weren't, I had to call support and ask them to mail the links over, for the ones on the site weren't suitable for some reason. they told me it's a known problem)

what OS are you using? Ubuntu finds all drivers by itself, but won't install wifi driver untill ou actually install the sys on hard-drive (won't connect if you run from disc. don't know why).

I'm attaching you the links for drivers for winXP (install in this order, if that's  the OS you have. if not, don't install these, ask for the correct drivers)

1.       BIOS

2. Chipset

a)      

b)      

3.       Network Card

4.       Wireless Driver

5.       Audio

6.       Video

7.       Touchpad

GOOD LUCK!

September 3rd, 2012 21:00

start > run > ncpa.cpl > double-click the wireless connection
I tried this and saw that there is Wireless Network Connection.
The window shows the wireless connection however says that "wireless not connected".Key F11 doesn't turn the Wireless on.I tried on screen keyboard as well.
I visited the website of dell, entered my service tag, found the wireless driver of my Dell Vostro 1014 and downloaded it.(R224319)
I unzipped it and tried to install, it gave me an error saying that my Operating System isn't supported by the driver.
I use Windows 7 Professional 32 bit.
Please help me out .
I just want to turn this wireless on!!!

13 Posts

September 4th, 2012 01:00

hi,

look, if you already have an icon of "wireless network connection" in the "network and sharing center" (where you entered with ncpa.cpl), it means the driver is already installed and the computer recognises correctly the wifi card.

so, usually, there is no need to re-install the driver.

now, you need to just tell your comp what network to connect to.

if you're using win7 it goes like this:

Start > Control Panel > network and internet > network and sharing center (click on the icon itself) > "set up a new connection or network" > connect to a network

now you have a menu with all the wifi networks around you

select yours, type in the password (if you have one), and connect.

when you receive a menu asking you whenever it's a work, home or public network, select "home".

if you dont need other advanced settings (sharing, ecc) just close the following menus.

that's it.

good luck

September 4th, 2012 07:00

Hi!

Thanks for your answer but the issue is the wireless can't be turned on.I'm working for a school we have a laptop card that has Vostro 1014s in it.

I'm having this issue with only one laptop, I am able to turn the wireless on hitting F11 key with others.

F11 doesn't turn the wireless on here.

Do you have any alternative way?

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

September 5th, 2012 15:00

Wisconsin Career Academy,

Did you recently install/reinstall the operating system?

Places to look to see if your Connection is enabled

What virus program and firewall are you using?

Rick

1 Message

January 28th, 2015 10:00

My Dell Vostro has a physical toggle switch on the  front side next to the microphone and speaker input connections.

1 Message

March 30th, 2015 00:00

help please, I can not activate my wifi dell vostro 3700, I move the knob on but the wifi is not activated, all right, drivers, hardware and setup, I'm missing? knob needs a driver? please help me.

1 Message

November 24th, 2015 10:00

Hi Dell Support Team,

Can some one help me in activating / Turning on the Wifi on my Dell Vostro14 3000 series laptop? Unable to understand how I can turn on.

6 Posts

January 9th, 2016 22:00

So yes I recent discovered how to turn the Wifi on and off with the Keyboard...cause I've been trying to do it on WIndows 10 and realize why its Setup that way...cause the key its with is common.

My Specs
- Laptop: Dell, Vostro 14, 3446
- OS: Microsoft, Windows 7, Ultimate, x64 (Cause Win10 & 8 were killing me)
- Wifi Shortcut: FN + PrtScr  (Where my Wifi Toggle is...I just test and didn't need SHIFT)
- Note: Even though FN is locked (And Koodos to Dell for making it Toggle with ESC rather than through DOS (Dell D800)) you have to use FN + Toggle to Turn Wifi ON/OFF, but not for Brightness and Sound...HAHAHA

No Events found!