Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 10th, 2011 21:00

INSPIRON N5010 HEADPHONE JACK SOUND ISSUE

My headphones will not work.  We have been working on this for about 4 hours now.  Have tried multiple earphones.  Speakers work fine.  Driver is updated. Plugged into proper place.  Chosen Indpend. Headphones as default..  Even tried re-installing the driver....Any suggestions?

Thanks

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

November 11th, 2011 04:00

I would set it to Speakers/Headphones. I believe that "Independent Headphones" is for models with two headphone jacks -- it allows them to function independently of each other for d.j. applications and such. If still no luck then contact Dell about getting it repaired.

3 Posts

December 15th, 2011 05:00

my ripped apart my new headphone because of this. all headphones dont work on the left earbud— not my main speakers. it started after i tested the mic function of the headphones and within the hour, the left goes out. i was angry! when i used other headphones and realized it was my computer, i was not happy (esp when my car stereo has the same problem).

no solutions here. ive did all of what the O-poster did also before coming. i didnt help. i tried it all. looking for updates of everything!

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

December 15th, 2011 05:00

Run the Dell Diagnostic audio tests with the headphones plugged in. If audio still only comes through one channel during the tests then you have a hardware failure and you can stop trying software solutions.

***********************************************************************************************************

How to Run the Audio Tests in Dell Diagnostics

These interactive audio tests are designed to narrow down the problem to either the software or hardware. The tests are independent of Windows and drivers, meaning it doesn't matter if those are working correctly or not. To run Dell Diagnostics

1. Restart the computer and tap the f12 key as soon as it starts to boot up .

2. Select 'Diagnostic' from the boot menu. The computer will run its pre-boot assessment tests (PSA) before Dell Diagnostics starts. During the PSA you will hear some tones through the system speaker but this does not adequately test the audio hardware. Dell Diagnostics plays an instrumental piece of music complete with drums, so if you only hear some tones then you have only run the PSA.

3. Dell Diagnostics should open after the PSA tests, or you should see an option to open it. If you have ever reformatted your entire hard drive then Dell Diagnostics will no longer be there as an option. In that case run it from the Drivers and Utilities (Resource) CD if you have one.

4. Select 'Custom', then the audio tests.

5. The tests will run. You don't need to run all of them. Just check how the audio comes through the headphones during the tests.

2 Posts

December 15th, 2011 08:00

Well, I ended up taking my Dell to BB where I bought it from.  Their team fiddled with it too, couldn't figure it out.  Dell ended up having to replace the entire motherboard since audio jack is on there too (?)...Thanks for all of the suggestions

3 Posts

December 15th, 2011 08:00

i need the same here. my motherboard has been getting too hot. preforms better than any laptop in its price range dell inspirion N5010 but gets glitch when it comes to music (videoes or songs hold a sudden tone or pitch for .32sec then normalize). weird stuff man. i think this laptop just cant handle me. this will be a year when Jan hits.

its a problem for this model. and it started with a new headphone/mic test.

3 Posts

December 16th, 2011 05:00

WORKED.

thanks rocks star! learned a few new tips:

dont test mic with google chat settings= application isnt stable/

eat cereal with fork= more cereal, less milk/

that's all. thank you

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

December 16th, 2011 07:00

thanks rocks star!

If that means me then I must need a bigger sig.

dont test mic with google chat settings= application isnt stable/

eat cereal with fork= more cereal, less milk/

Ha ha. Good tip.

No Events found!