Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 11th, 2016 06:00

Inspiron 15 3000 laptop disconnects from Internet/Network

Laptop is only 2 months old and Dell support won't help because I don't have a software maintenance contract and don't want to pay for support on a new laptop!

The laptop has been having issues with the connections to the Internet and network for a few weeks. This is my husband's computer and he doesn't remember if this was a problem from day 1.

I noticed that the WIFI options under Settings/Network disappeared. I went through the diagnostics and did a repair and it now shows WIFI. 

When trying to troubleshoot problem with “no internet connection” I get the message:

There is no Internet connection
try:
checking the network cables, modem, and router
reconnecting to Wi-Fi
Running Windows Network Diagnostics

I ran the Windows Network Diagnostics for the Network Card and it passed all of the tests.

I checked the connection and it says it is connected
Troubleshooter can't find a problem

says it is connected but still can't connect to Internet!

I have many computers connected to the routers I use and never have a problem with the Internet nor Networking.  I brought the laptop in my office and connected the laptop to a Eternet cable that works for another computer and I am sure the problem is with the new Dell Inspiron 15 3000 laptop.

I suspect this may be an issue with Windows 10 drivers but not sure what to check next. I see that other types of Dell computers have had issues with the network drivers and had to go back to Windows 7 drivers but not everybody has had success using the old drivers and some experienced other issues. Any suggestions?

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

November 11th, 2016 06:00

If you have McAfee Life Safe (antivirus) on the system, disable it.  That likely will solve the problem - if it does, your best course of action is to uninstall that software and use the built-in Microsoft Defender (it'll automatically turn on once McAfee is gone).

8 Posts

November 11th, 2016 12:00

I removed the McAfee software as soon as I received the laptop and put on Norton. Norton works better than Microsoft Defender - I checked and Defender is not running.

Community Manager

• 

2.2K Posts

November 14th, 2016 16:00

Hi pagranny,

Are you still having trouble with the system? And when you used ethernet did it change anything? I wasn't sure on that.

Best regards,

Brad

November 14th, 2016 19:00

You may have a defective WiFi card.  This is similar to one we have here.  The solution was to disable the internal WiFi card and use a plug-in USB device.  Have you considered this idea?

Community Manager

• 

2.2K Posts

November 14th, 2016 20:00

Hi Jim,

Not to get off topic from the OP but was your system still in warranty or was this on an older system? This definitely can be a nice fix especially if it adds features from an older card.

Also, thanks for the suggestion. If you do happen to need help on your system (to look at the wifi card further or see if there are internal options that could be used) please let me know. It might be easier to Private Message me if that is the case so we don't take over the thread, but regardless I just thought I would make sure.  

Best regards,

Brad

No Events found!