Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

T

July 28th, 2016 18:00

Inspiron 15 7568 - Touch stops working when keyboard flipped around.

When my Inspiron 15 7568 is flipped around into tablet config, both touch and stylus stop working.

Is there a firmware fix?  It appears to be a problem inside the machine and not Windows.

When I open the lid all the way, a number of items instantly vanish from the device manager.  -Which is smart for things like the touch pad and the keyboard, but somehow the touch screen and stylus got included in that feature.

July 31st, 2016 08:00

Come on!

Nobody knows a thing?

-I was thinking of perhaps hardware-chopping the switch which tells the computer it's in tablet mode and just disabling the keyboard and touch pad manually when I don't need them.  That way the computer would never realize it's not in lap-top mode, (where touch still works) and I'd be able to use the machine as a tablet. But I can't find the switch!  There's no obvious board or reed switch or anything which would interact with the magnets, and none of the repair literature has anything to say about this.  So even though that solution would work, it's a bust.

But it's also nonsense.  It's obviously some simple binary switch in a piece of deep code on some bit of firmware.  -I blanked everything, rolled back drivers, pulled both batteries, (main and coin) and did a BIOS reset in an effort to hunt down this deep code and hopefully reset it to something sensible by re-installing everything. (A hopelessly ridiculous approach when all that's needed is a 1 to be a 0 or whatever it is), but all I managed to do was destroy my Windows 10 installation, so I had to re-image my SSD from the original drive the Inspiron shipped with.

Basically... what I need is for there to be a specific driver update which grants the user access to the lid sensor and adjust its behavior according to the user wishes.  "And golly, alls I wishes is that it works."

Is there any chance of this ever happening?  (That's obviously a rhetorical question.  No.  That will never, ever happen.  A user moaning on a forum about wanting a simple, honest feature has never in the universe caused a post-it note to arrive on a programmer's desk.)

"Take a statement and get him out of here."

August 24th, 2016 21:00

Bumpity Bump Bump.

No help, eh?

Well fine, then.

How about this:

How do you disengage, -at the hardware level- the lid open/close sensor?

Because you sure can't turn that thing off at the software level.

I've had this Inspiron 15 open and cannot for the life of me find the ***' switch.  Where is it?

I'd like to simply remove the ability for my computer to know it's been flipped open into physical tablet mode.  -But there appears to be no sensor!  -I also notice, when I put pressure on the Right hinge, (when the lid is up like a laptop), that it will think it's suddenly in tablet mode and the bug jumps out, cutting off touch and stylus input.

How weird is that?  I can't see any way for it to sense where the lid is.

So how about it, folks?  Does anybody know how to hack my Inspiron?

No Events found!