Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 19th, 2017 20:00

Inspiron 1564 beep code long-short-short-pause-short-short

Hi,

I've got problematic Dell Inspiron 1564. Suspected bad video.

When turned on, screen is blank and beep codes are "long-short-short-pause-short-short".

I can't find info about this beep code. I've found that long-short-short is bad video but what about next two short beeps?

Hard drive activity looks normal after that and I guess system works fine except graphics.External video output doesn't work.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

May 20th, 2017 05:00

Two short beeps mean no memory detected -- for both faults the replacement of the mainboard is required.

9 Posts

May 20th, 2017 06:00

If there were only 2 short beeps, then it is bad memory

When I remove the memory completely, then the pattern is S-S and that is quite standard pattern that can be found easily on the Internet.

The pattern is L-S-S-P-S-S which I couldn't find and which I'm asking about.

As I wrote - hard drive activity led makes me think the system is running and only graphics is missing

9 Posts

May 20th, 2017 08:00

I know that if it is the video the easiest approach is to change the board.

My question is really simple - do you know what this beep pattern means?

I have some humble 20 years of experience of fixing computers in my service. I can resolder the BGA chip, but I need to know if that's the problem.

The reason I'm asking here is because Dell's documentation is poor and I hoped someone could give me an useful answer, so ejn63 please don't bother to answer.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

May 20th, 2017 08:00

Since the GPU is soldered to the mainboard on this model, the end result is the same - if you want to repair the system, replace the mainboard.

No Events found!