Re: Inspiron 15R 5521 --- Laptop shuts down randomly

Hi nitsuaj,

Thank you for the update, please write back to us if you need any further help.

Thanks & Regards,
Nikhil D
#iworkfordell

To know more about Dell Product Support, Drivers & Downloads, Order & Dispatch status -> choose your region US Customers; India Customers. For Dell Support videos click Here

0 Kudos
nitsuaj
Bronze

Ran a clean boot but it still shut down after a slightly longer time. Called dell support desk and the engineer has replaced the motherboard and checked the fan system - should be the solution. Thank you for your suggestions though! It helped the support desk diagnose the fault quickly.

0 Kudos

Hi nitsuaj,

As the system is working fine in Safe mode with Networking, We can do a Clean boot to isolate the startup or service that is causing the issue. Follow the below mentioned steps for Clean boot:

1. Click “Start”, type “msconfig” and press enter to open the “System Configuration” utility.
  2. In the “General Tab”, click “Selective startup”, and uncheck the “Load startup items” check box.
  3. Click “Services” tab, check the box for “Hide all Microsoft services”, and then click “Disable all”.
  4. Click “OK”, and then click “Restart”.

After the clean boot, if the issue does not occur, open “System Configuration” utility again and enable 3-4 startup items, restart the computer. Repeat this by enabling few startup items at a time and restart the computer. Similarly, repeat the same with “Services”. Make a note of the Startup item and Service which was causing the problem.

Kindly let me know the results. 

Thanks & Regards,
Nikhil D
#iworkfordell

To know more about Dell Product Support, Drivers & Downloads, Order & Dispatch status -> choose your region US Customers; India Customers. For Dell Support videos click Here

0 Kudos
nitsuaj
Bronze

Hasn't shut down in safe mode since that one, is that an indication of lower clocking = lower temperatures and so it is a heat problem??

0 Kudos
nitsuaj
Bronze

Rebooted in safe mode but it is still turning itself off randomly... That makes it 7 "crashes" today.

Does anyone else have any ideas??

0 Kudos
nitsuaj
Bronze

Thank you very much for the reply

I ran the initial test and the laptop passed; I then ran the "advanced" test it offered and left the laptop alone since it said it would take more than 30 mins to complete and it had turned off again once I returned to it.

I'll now test if it still turns off in safemode as you suggested.

0 Kudos

Hi nitsuaj,

As the system is shutting down intermittently, I would suggest you to run hardware diagnostics:

Follow the steps below to run hardware diagnostics.

1. Restart the computer.
  2. Keep tapping the F12 key on the Dell Logo Screen.
  3. From the One time boot menu select Diagnostics and Press Enter.
  4. It runs a test on all the hardware components.
  5. If it test fails please capture the error code and let me know the error code, I would tell you the next course of action.

In case the test passes, follow the next steps. Check in Safe Mode with Networking.

1. Restart the computer.
  2. Keep tapping F8 on the Dell Logo Screen.
  3. Once the computer enters Advanced Boot Option, select Safe Mode with Networking.
  4. Press Enter.

Check if the computer is doing the same thing in safe mode with networking.

Also, refer this link for troubleshooting the fans and air vents: http://dell.to/101noJK

Please check the functionality of the fan and post the results.

Thanks & Regards,
Nikhil D
#iworkfordell

0 Kudos
Highlighted
nitsuaj
Bronze

Inspiron 15R 5521 --- Laptop shuts down randomly

I've had this laptop for the best part of two months now and it has been excellent up to now. However, it has now shut down completely 4 times within the same day - with absolutely no warning. It doesn't feel as if it has overheated but I'm only touching the outer shell.

Is there something horribly wrong or is there an easy fix?

Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos