Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

H

July 28th, 2015 12:00

Inspiron 5748 (Mid 2013) and Windows 10 upgrade from 8.1

Hey guys, I'm asking this a little early but some feedback will be great once Windows 10 has been launched.

My specs are as follows;

-Inspiron 5748
-8GB Single Channel DDR3L 1600MHz (8GBx1)
-1TB 5400RPM SATA Hard Drive
-Tray load DVD RW Drive (RW to DVD/CD)
-NVIDIA(R) GeForce(R) 840M 2GB DDR3L
-Dell 1704 @ 2.4GHz + Bluetooth 4.0
-Windows 8.1 (64Bit) 
-4th Generation Intel® Core™ i7-4510U processor (4M Cache, up to 3.1 GHz)
-17.3 inch LED Backlit Display with Truelife and HD+ resolution (1600 x 900)

I would like to know if anyone with the same specs has any issues with their upgrade during and after upgrading to Windows 10, especially with regards to the GeForce graphics card and any high RAM software like Photoshop etc.???

Thanks!

10 Posts

July 30th, 2015 08:00

Has anyone upgraded yet???

1 Message

August 12th, 2015 08:00

I have a very similar configuration except screen and video adapter.

In my first attempt, I had my wireless not worked even the drivers are there and reporting no issues. Then I reverted back to 8.1 and uninstall Cisco VPN (if you don't want to revert back, there's a registry solution at Windows 10 but you need to search) and re-install W10 again. This time I made a mistake selecting a new windows install so I lost all my previous installations. I took this as an opportunity and reinstall the software again.

Everything is working fine except Bluetooth. It looks like Bluetooth drivers are installed and stating that they are working; I have no Bluetooth icon in the system tray and I cannot add a bluetooth device at Devices/Bluetooth. The Bluetooth switch is on but disabled and More Bluetooth options link at the bottom is not bringing anything new.

10 Posts

August 12th, 2015 10:00

Hi, Thanks for your reply. I went ahead and upgraded my 8.1 to Windows 10 and all seemed to go smoothly. I have a few very minor issues, one being a Start Menu bug but I have discovered that this is an issue with Kaspersky Internet Security. 

Before upgrading to 10 I also had issues with my Bluetooth, couldn't get anything to connect at all but I have just tested it now and all is working great. I enabled my Bluetooth via the Action Centre icon in the Notification area then my Bluetooth icon would appear.  

I had no issues with my wireless and everything transferred perfectly.

8 Posts

June 28th, 2016 07:00

Just noticed your post. Don't expect this issue to be relevant (and I'm going to start new post on that) but you never know. Have similar laptop - Inspiron 5748 / 8GB / 1TB / Intel i5@1.70GHz - and upgraded from Win 8.1 ==> Win 10. After upgrade (we think), the battery would not charge. Bought new adapter, then new battery, but issue is still unresolved. We suspect the connector/jack/socket...but I've always wondered if the software upgrade had an impact...

10 Posts

June 28th, 2016 14:00

Hi, this may be the most obvious suggestion and you've probably already been asked this but have you updated your BIOS to see if that may fix the charging issue you have?

I did have minor issues after my upgrade but nothing that bothered me too much. I did discover that there's an issue with a particular Intel driver/software, Intel Management Engine Components to be precise. This can be found under Programs and Features. I had shutdown issues, I would use the Windows shutdown button but discover in the morning that my laptop was hot and also wouldn't turn on. I uninstalled version 11 of this software and reinstalled the Windows 8.1 version 9 and my problem was resolved.

Hope you solve your battery problem soon.

8 Posts

June 29th, 2016 05:00

Thanks for all that. Updating BIOS wasn't obvious to me and, no, not anyone has suggested it!

The BIOS version is the original one, from 2014, when m/c was running Win8.1. I feel a bit nervy about messing with the BIOS though battery problem seems to have started when moved to Win10. Also, a tiny current seems to be reaching the battery terminal (from the fully-functioning adapter plug), which (to me) suggests the fault more likely to be a poor hardware connection rather than a software issue.

However, have just picked up msg from Dell that recommends update to BIOS and chipset driver...think I'm going to have to get over my BIOS nerviness.

Thanks again, and for the IMEC issue - look forward to that when/if I update! 

10 Posts

June 29th, 2016 06:00

Pleasure. Let me know how it goes if you do decide to go ahead with the update, but do keep your adapter plugged in through the whole process. It is a pretty quick process once you execute the BIOS installation file.

8 Posts

July 12th, 2016 04:00

Laptop working/re-charging again after I fitted replacement DC port (part and YouTube tutorial from Parts People in Austin, Tx...excellent).

I never did update the BIOS (before going for a new DC port). I discovered there were several updates outstanding and started the process - accepting a couple of chipset updates but not the IMEC one (thanks for that!). I began the BIOS update but then a warning window said I shouldn't proceed unless at least 10% charge on the battery. The battery, of course, was flat; and though I had the adapter plugged in throughout, I thought the warning might mean that the adapter would be disconnected during the process. Didn't seem worth the risk.

As it happens, freakishly, the laptop did start re-charging after the chipset updates, and the battery got fully charged. Even then, couldn't bring myself to update BIOS...even after the laptop stopped working again after I removed the adapter cable and re-inserted it. I think the temporary re-charging was due to some freakish insertion of the adapter cable, that I couldn't replicate.

That episode just reinforced my view that it was dodgy connection...and new DC port seems to confirm that.

Many thanks for yr advice and assist...I'm still pondering that BIOS update - you never know!

No Events found!