Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

G

5 Posts

March 9th, 2005 16:00

Inspiron 6000 - SD Card Reader (Driver?)

I've installed Win2KPro for work related software compatibility. In my device manager I have an unknown PCI Device (yellow "?"). I'm assuming this is the SD Card Reader as that is the only device that is not functioning/responding. Where do I get the driver for the reader as it's not available at Support, neither in XP or 2000 download areas? I've tried running the Dell Notebook System Software, but I get an error message stating that "this computer does not support this operating system."

Please help, thanks!

2.2K Posts

March 9th, 2005 20:00

Gargravarr,

Thank you for using the Dell Community Forum.

Dell does not factory install Windows 2000 on the Inspiron 6000, and you will not find a complete set of drivers for that Operating System.  I do not know of a Windows 2000 driver for that piece of hardware.

Try this driver for your system, Microsoft Secure Digital I/O.  This is for Windows XP and I do not know if it will work with Windows 2000.  This is for the Inspiron 9200, but should work on the 6000.

March 10th, 2005 16:00

Thanks for the help and link to the file... however, when I run the setup, I get the error "This computer does not support this operating system." Is there a way to extract the files from the .cab files, perhaps I can manually install the drivers?

Thanks again for your help.

March 10th, 2005 17:00

I have just purchased a Dell Inspiron 6000. I saw that it had an SD memory card slot and so i inserted a memory card from my digital camera, but nothing happened. I dont know if there is supposed to be an auto start or if i have to open it. Im not sure how to access my memory card when its inserted. Can someone help me? Thank you! :smiley happy:

5 Posts

March 13th, 2005 16:00

Hi, I'm Zantei from Japan.
SD Card Slot driver problem on Win2k Pro & Winxp Pro with
DELL's Inspiron 6000 is hot issue in Japan too.

BTW I maybe found a solution. Plase download a file from
below URL.

http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/exportcompliance.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&fileid=113408&SystemID=INS_PNT_P4_9200&category=0&os=WW1&osl=en&deviceid=7818&devlib=7&releaseid=R86531&p=HTTP

when you got this file, try execute this file.
the file will be extracted and install driver automatically.

after driver installed, please check SD Card device on DeviceManager. You can probably find a new device "SDA
-Standard Compliant SD Host Controller" in a new category
"Secure Digital Host Controllers".

Please Let's try! good luck!
I'm waiting your report.

Cheers,
Zantei (from Japan)

March 14th, 2005 13:00

Zantei,

Thanks, I was hoping this was going to solve all my problems, but I get the same error as before (Using Windows 2000 Pro-SP4):

"This computer does not support this operating system."

Is there anyway to get around this? Perhaps be able to extract the drivers out of the CAB files?

Thanks for any additional info you can provide.

5 Posts

March 15th, 2005 16:00

Hi,Gargravarr,

I've an apology in a part of my comment.
At previous week, I tested the file on winxp Pro SP1 only.
Win2k Pro SP4 was not tested. So I didn't know that can't
work the driver on W2k.

I'm interested to this issue(can use SDIO on Inspiron 6000
with Win2k SP4).

Please any information for this issue, If you have.
Thanks.

Best Regards,
Zantei

5 Posts

March 19th, 2005 04:00

Hi,

I found a file for SDIO at Win2k.

ttp://www.maxselect.ru/binary/drivers/notebooks/TravelBook_TZ/SD_Card.zip

CAUTION!
THIS FILE WAS CHECKED BY A VIRUS CHECKER.
BUT I NOT CHECKED THAT WORKING THE DRIVER ON Win2kProSP4 at Inspiron6000.

PLEASE PAY ATTENTION TO THAT YOUR OWN RISK.

good luck.

Cheers,
Zantei

March 29th, 2005 14:00

I downloaded this file. The howtoinstall.txt file was unreadable. I tried to use the update driver option in the hardware manager and pointed it to the downloaded files.

It seemed to install, but after the reboot, I now have the following entry in my hardware manager with a yellow !:

SDA Standard Compliant SD Host Controller.

It has the following error:
This device is not working properly because Windows cannot load the drivers required for this device. (Code 31)

8 Posts

April 15th, 2005 13:00

Well i did recieve mine Inspiron 6000 yesterday i installed my own 2003 licence
i hate when you live in sweden and cant choose the english version from dell on the os

and the sd card reader do work with mine 2003 after
i downloaded the "www.maxselect.ru/binary/drivers/notebooks/TravelBook_TZ/SD_Card.zip"
be sure to install all drivers properly i got the device working all fine now thanks Zantei for your help much appreciated !!!

8 Posts

April 16th, 2005 13:00

And i needed to have the sd card to install this device to...

April 19th, 2005 02:00

Hey,

i tried downloading that, but it says that my system doesnt support it. is there anything else i can do?

8 Posts

April 19th, 2005 14:00

Yes install the device thru device manager "update driver" and search for drivers select the desired folder and let windows installer search for drivers (.inf files) where the driver package is and let windows install it it self and you may need the "sd card inserted to be able to install all things correct" hope this guides you in the right way...

9 Posts

April 27th, 2005 07:00

Problem solved for Windows 2000 Professional :) What we need is the driver for the controller Ricoh R5C841, which controls both the Cardbus and the SD reader. The driver can be obtained from various websites, e.g., ASUS V6V notebook uses the same controller

(http://usa.asus.com/support/download/selectftp.aspx?l1_id=3&l2_id=45&l3_id=0&m_id=1&f_name=CardReader_050118.zip~zaqwedc).

After downloading the file, extract it to an arbitrary folder. What we really need are the files named "Risdpntk." Put those into another folder and then update the driver for the unknown PCI device from the later folder. Then ...

You have the SD reader ready to work for you ~

Message Edited by yclei on 04-27-2005 05:14 AM

Message Edited by yclei on 04-27-2005 05:15 AM

3 Posts

May 3rd, 2005 05:00

Thanks all of you guys.

2 Posts

July 28th, 2005 00:00

I have an i6000 with xp home and the sd reader just stopped working, even after i uninstalled and reistalled the driver. I finally found your post and downloaded the driver from from asus. I think there is a newer version then the one you mentioned, v2.3. There is a folder that is called SD in the folder labeled R5C8xxMediaDriverSetup213 which contains three files that start with Risdptsk. Copy the SD folder to any random directory and specify the SD folder as the target file when installing it. Thanks for the info, as you started me off, I just wanted to update your info. Thanks!
No Events found!