Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 17th, 2012 14:00

Inspiron 6400 shutting off intermittently...Please help.

Good day luminaries...this is driving me nuts.

I have an Inspiron6400 and the images below states the center status light refers to the computer "read/write" data function.

When booting up this center (read/write) light comes on for a couple seconds, never blinks, then it shuts off and the computer does not boot up.

Only a blank screen with the left status light as the only one on.

1) Does this elude to hard drive problem or M/B problem?

2) If either of the above is true Is it really time to buy a new one as this one is about 6 years old?

I don't want to pour money into this one if it's time to bite the new laptop bullet.

See below and many thanks in advance for any guidance.

Turns on when you turn on the computer, and blinks when the computer is in a power management mode.

Turns on when the computer reads or writes data.

NOTICE: To avoid loss of data, never turn off the computer while the  light is flashing.

Turns on steadily or blinks to indicate battery charge status.

2.2K Posts

October 17th, 2012 15:00

Hi,

It seems to be a hardware issue, please follow the steps below to isolate the issue:

1. Remove all external peripherals.
2. Remove the battery & disconnect the AC Adapter from the system and hold the power button down for 20 seconds, to discharge “Static Flea Power”, after that connect AC Adaptor and battery.
3. Turn on the computer and tap Caps lock or numeric key, check if the status on the LEDs located at the left side of the power button changes. 
4. If the status changes, please run LCD BIST test. To run LCD BIST, press and hold “D” and turn on the computer. Solid colors will appear on the screen indicating working LCD
5. Also, would suggest you to try an external monitor.
6. In case the screen remains black or external monitor display is fine, LCD has gone bad and needs replacement else, motherboard needs to be replaced.

Please keep me posted with the result

Thanks & Regards
Manshu S
#iworkfordell  

October 17th, 2012 16:00

Hello.....

It has been booting up during this testing phase.

Steps 1 -2 done

Step 3 - I tapped the caps lock key -  power up and between Dell splash screen and WinXp splash screen I see the cap lock status light go on and off.

Step 4  -  press/hold  "D" key and power up but I only get repetitive beeps and boot up continues as normal and no solid colors (patterns) occur during this phase?

Step 5 -  Tried external monitor (LCD TV in living room) and I'm able to toggle Fn/F8 without problem.

Step 6 - Screen did not remain black or seem to be problematic during this test.

Hope I was clear with this response and did what you asked accurately?

I appreciate your assistance.

clv1966

2.2K Posts

October 17th, 2012 18:00

Hi,

Thank you for performing the steps mentioned in my previous post. It seems like the computer is booting normally now. Since you have mentioned that the system is shutting down intermittently, I would suggest you to run diagnostics on the computer and let me know if the computer shuts off during the diagnostics or you get any errors while running the test. Please follow the steps below to run the diagnostics:

1. Turn off the computer
2. While holding down the FN key switch on the computer till you see the test running on the screen.
3. It will start the diagnostics.
4. Color bars on the screen indicate functional LCD, please press “Y” when it appears.

Please make a note of the error code if you get any.

You can refer the Dell Article 266787 on www.support.dell.com

Thanks & Regards
Manshu S
#iworkfordell

October 17th, 2012 18:00

Howdy....

I will do what you suggest and return with an update.

To be clear....the re-occurring issue was I'd power up and that center indicator light comes on for a second or two then goes off leaving only the left indicator light still on.

Shut down.and restart several times and it may or may not decide to boot up.

Thank you and will advise.

Have a good one...

clv1966

October 18th, 2012 08:00

I’m back….

First, an observation I made that when the left indicator light comes on I hear the DVD drive being read/accessed.

Then the center indicator light comes on for about 2 seconds, then shuts off and computer has black screen and does not boot up.

Also, I ran chkdsk last Monday prior to coming to this forum.

I’ve used AVG Anti-virus for years and keep up with updates and scanning.

I ran the test as you suggested and get the following error which came up two times during the testing phase:

DST short test fail

Error 1000-0146

Unit 0: DST log contains previous error.

Continued on with Dell Diagnostic Utility Partition (extended)

Service tag # at top of screen.

After searching the net I’ve read that some have stated this is a registry problem or hard drive failing?

I checked these sites:

fix-kit.com/.../repair

www.errorsfixer.org/windows.php says it could only be registry errors but I’m terrified of trying (believing) these so-called ‘fixes’ from unknown websites unless you approve?

If this turns out to be a truly FAILING hard drive is it really worth it on this 6 year old computer?

Especially if the M/B may start going end of life next?

I do have the install disk which I purchased with the computer but haven’t formatted a hard drive in a long time.

Extended test is still running.

Thank you for your help.

clv1966

October 18th, 2012 13:00

Well....that's where my thoughts were heading also.

One last question:  is getting a new hard drive for this one imprudent spending being as how it's 6 years old or so?

Would not the M/B or something else be on it's last legs also?

You've been a great help in walking me throught this diagnostice process.

Thank you.

clv1966

2.2K Posts

October 18th, 2012 13:00

Hi,

I would like to inform you that Error Code 1000-0146 indicates hard drive failure.

Since you already ran check disk on the computer and it did not fix the bad sectors on the hard drive, I would suggest you to replace the hard drive.

Please reply for any further assistance.

Thanks & Regards
Manshu S
#iworkfordell

October 18th, 2012 14:00

Thanks for everything Manshu S.

I'll be ordering a new one this afternoon.

Have a good day...

clv1966

2.2K Posts

October 18th, 2012 14:00

Hi,

I understand your concern and would recommend you to buy a new computer considering the fact that this computer is 6 years old.

Thanks & Regards
Manshu S
#iworkfordell

3.8K Posts

May 29th, 2013 07:00

This thread has been locked due to inactivity. For assistance, with the same or a different issue, please click New Post on the top right to start a New Thread.          

No Events found!