Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 8th, 2015 17:00

Inspiron 7559 unable to detect the power supply

My laptop is less than 2 weeks old and everytime I turn it on, it gives me a bios screen saying it can't detect the power supply. I'm using the 130 watt power supply that came with it. Any ideas on what the issue could be?

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

November 8th, 2015 20:00

Hi Scooch,

I would suggest you to update the BIOS on the computer. Please enter your service tag # on the link below, then download the BIOS required onto the system and install it.

http://dell.to/18r60nI

Also, we will need to determine if the issue is with the AC adapter or Battery. We will have to check the status of the adapter in the BIOS; if the adapter is not detected properly the system will continue to receive power but will not charge the battery. Please follow the steps mentioned below to check if the adapter is detected properly.

1. Start the computer by pressing the power button
  2. Press the F2 key 2-3 times you will now be on the BIOS screen.
  3. Under the Main Tab look for the option that says AC Adapter Type
    If the Adapter Type says Unknown or None with the adapter plugged in.
  4. Reconnect the adapter to the machine and if the status now shows as Unknown then the AC Adapter needs to be replaced.

Also, I would suggest you to run a thorough test on the battery. You can download Support assist from the link below and run the PC CHECKUP on Battery to check for issues

http://dell.to/1hAPOXr

Please let me know the findings.

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

November 8th, 2015 21:00

Hi Scooch,

I would suggest you to update the BIOS on the computer. Please enter your service tag # on the link below, then download the BIOS required onto the system and install it.

http://dell.to/18r60nI

Also, we will need to determine if the issue is with the AC adapter or Battery. We will have to check the status of the adapter in the BIOS; if the adapter is not detected properly the system will continue to receive power but will not charge the battery. Please follow the steps mentioned below to check if the adapter is detected properly.

1. Start the computer by pressing the power button

2. Press the F2 key 2-3 times you will now be on the BIOS screen.

3. Under the Main Tab look for the option that says AC Adapter Type
    If the Adapter Type says Unknown or None with the adapter plugged in.

4. Reconnect the adapter to the machine and if the status now shows as Unknown then the AC Adapter needs to be replaced.

Also, I would suggest you to run a thorough test on the battery. You can download Support assist from the link below and run the PC CHECKUP on Battery to check for issues

http://dell.to/1hAPOXr

Please let me know the findings.

1 Message

November 7th, 2016 08:00

Do not bother to update BIOS... I tried and it had nothing to do with the problem.  I have two of the 7559 Inspiron gaming laptops and which of the two have this problem... Both!  So I might know what I am talking about.  What is the solution?  What absolutely is known to work on both my laptops... Wait for it... Wait for it... :

Push the power into the jack with just a little bit more force than you think is necessary.  

Like your probably thinking duh can it be that simple?

Obviously don't jam it in there.  You will find as i have that the connector is a bit more firm to seat in the laptop.  If there is a 1/4 inch gap or so between plastic outer coating and laptop this is too much and should be less than 1/16 inch or so.  You should feel two levels of resistance when inserting the connector the first easy level where is comes to a stop 1/4 way from laptop and a second level of resistance slightly more than first to seat past the 1/16 inch mark or so closer to the laptop.

I had opened up a help desk on this problem before moving it and by accident simply pressing more firmly when seating the power connector.  So yes I have been where you are and understand the frustration.  I know it seems strange and don't feel bad I too did  not want to press too hard on a new laptop, but it just needs that extra bit of force to seat the power connector.

To test and prove it to yourself:

1) reboot laptop with connector seated at 1/4 away from laptop (first resistance level when seating the power connector).  Then reboot.  Bios will complain about the power connector

2) Now seat connector 1/16 or so spacing between outer plastic shell of power connector and laptop closer to laptop (There should be little to none of the metal of the power connector visible... there may be a bit say 1/32' inch or so) by pressing slightly more than first attempt to get past the second resistance level when seating the connector.  Reboot... Bios should not complain about the power supply.... provided it was the correct power supply for the laptop shipped in the box and your laptop should now begin charging.

Now we all know why help desks ask "is it plugged in?"

17 Posts

November 9th, 2016 00:00

happened this to me once, but on this power bar, with another laptop plugged in.. seems the power bar was under volted due to the other laptop plugged in.

No Events found!