Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 29th, 2017 09:00

Inspiron 7570 Memory configurations

Hi, I just purchased a Dell Inspiron 7000 series laptop, model 7570.

It came configured with a single 8GB DDR4-2400 dimm, where I would like to expand the memory.  Preferably, I would like to add a 16GB dimm to the available 2nd slot, so I would have a total of 24GB (8GB+16GB).  However, when I look in the specs doc, it doesn't show "24GB" as a configurable option.  I know in most cases when building my own PC's the DIMM sizes should be matched.  However, what I found odd is that a 12GB (4GB+8GB) could be ordered directly from Dell.  So why wouldn't a 16GB+8GB configuration be supported?

Has anyone tried or know for certain if a 16GB+8GB configuration could be used or not?

If not, I'll likely just go with an 8+8, but I really dislike upgrading and then later have to throw the old ram away if I find I want to upgrade memory further.

It says it supports up to 32GB of memory, so I would like to put myself on a memory upgrade path that will eventually get me there, even if it means I spend more now, so I can save later.

Thanks!

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

December 29th, 2017 10:00

It'll work with 16+8, but given current memory prices, you may want to watch the market for a while before buying anything.  DDR4 is currently quite expensive.  The exact same pair of 8G/each DIMMs I bought last may for $119 is now $203 -- hold on until after the holiday demand subsides and prices will likely fall.  

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

December 29th, 2017 10:00

For questions like this, consult the specs or the manual or Crucial.com

40 Posts

December 29th, 2017 11:00

Good looking out, thanks!!

40 Posts

December 29th, 2017 11:00

As I originally mentioned, I did consult the specs.  However, the specs aren't very clear.

Here they are.....

"Table 6. Memory specifications

Slots: Two SODIMM slots

Type: DDR4

Speed: 2400 MHz

Configurations supported Per slot :4 GB, 8 GB, and 16 GB

Total memory: 4 GB, 8 GB, 12 GB, 16 GB, and 32 GB"

So should I go by the 1st line of "supported per slot" or "Total Memory"?

Funny how you read the specs, then you come on a forum to ask a question when the specs aren't exactly clear and someone feels it's a useful response to go read the specs or point you to somewhere else besides the user forum.

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

December 29th, 2017 12:00

Funny how you read the specs, then you come on a forum to ask a question when the specs aren't exactly clear and someone feels it's a useful response to go read the specs or point you to somewhere else besides the user forum.

You don't think Crucial.com knows their RAM??????

A company whose business is selling RAM for all makes and models????

Open your eyes!

40 Posts

December 29th, 2017 20:00

The RAM which came in the 7570 I'm asking about is manufactured by SK Hynix and not Crucial.  My eyes are wide open, you might want to consider opening your mind.  I also don't look for answers on an AMD website, when my laptop uses an Intel processor.  Call me silly.  If you have a specific link to Crucial you would like to share, that would be helpful.  Your answer was as helpful as "Go check with Google."

No Events found!