Highlighted
cloveless01
Copper

Intel 3.0 extensible host controller driver keeps giving me blue screen of death. Please help

I have been tasked with rebuilding a handful of old(ish) Dell E6330 laptops. All with the same hardware specs, 7 series/C216 chipset family. I am losing sleep over this and could really use a fresh perspective.

I am starting from a base Win 7 64 bit OS, provided by Dell. I have been able to update all of the drivers including BIOS except the "Intel 3.0 extensible host controller" whenever i try to install it, it gives me the BSOD just after installation.

When i go into device manager, it shows installed, but none of the usb 3.0 ports work (which is all of them). However, when i hook the laptop up to a docking station, i can get the 2.0 ports to work, so i have a work around.

I noticed that after i get the BSOD, under "Universal Serial Bus Controllers" in device manager, there is a Unknown Device listed in there. Though there is no yellow exclamation identifying there is something wrong, when i open it, it says "No drivers are installed for this device" when i select update driver it says the best driver software for your device is already installed (Intel R USB 3.0 Root Hub).

Any help is appreciated!

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Philip_Yip
Diamond

RE: Intel 3.0 extensible host controller driver keeps giving me blue screen of death. Please help

Are you using the Dell Windows 7 Professional Skylake Reinstallation .iso. If so USB 3.0 is already slipstreamed and you don't need to add any additional drivers.

Dr Philip Yip
Tech Enthusiast and Author of the Unofficial Dell Windows Reinstallation Guide

Windows FAQs and OEM Downloads

#IDoNotWorkFor Dell
0 Kudos
cloveless01
Copper

RE: Intel 3.0 extensible host controller driver keeps giving me blue screen of death. Please help

Thanks for the response. The only iso available to me from the Dell support page is WGC5Y_2FR1DA00_W7SP1PRO64_ENG.iso   im assuming that is not the Skylake version you speak of?  I am running a 7 series chipset and not Skylake, would it even work?

0 Kudos
cloveless01
Copper

Anyone else have other suggestions? or has seen this ?

0 Kudos