Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 28th, 2014 07:00

Issues with USB 3.0 Driver on Latitude E7240 laptop - loaded into offline Win7 image via DISM but will not install automatically

I am updating our corporate/enterprise Windows 7 64-bit image with drivers for the new Latitude E7240 model we intend to use. I loaded the drivers like I normally do: mount the Windows 7 Enterprise 64-bit custom image using DISM, then inject the drivers:

dism.exe /image:"C:\build-mount" /Add-Driver /driver:"C:\build\drivers\E7240\USB3" /ForceUnsigned /recurse

Everything loads fine in DISM, no errors at all. Every single INF reports "The driver package was successfully installed."

But when I apply the image to a new E7240 laptop, all the drivers load except the USB 3.0 driver. I go into Device Manager and see the yellow caution sign on that device.

I have tried changing the registry in the image to look at a folder called C:\Drivers as a driver repository and then placed the drivers in there raw... but no luck.

What's frustrating is that you can go into Device Manager, right-click on the USB 3.0 device with the error, then update the driver and it loads fine. Why doesn't this driver load automatically like all the other drivers?

2 Posts

October 20th, 2016 14:00

I had something similar happen on an image I made, geminitx. I ended up mounting the .wim, via DISM, manually copying the driver(s) into \system32\drivers, and re-committing the image. Once applied to the target PC the driver was magically used. I assume what happened was, upon first boot, it realized there was a problem and scanned \drivers for what it needed, found it, and moved on. Pure conjecture but it worked for me at the time and I moved on.

No Events found!