Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

O

June 22nd, 2016 09:00

Keyboard Crazy!

Dell Studio 1747 on Win 10 Pro. Keyboard acting crazy. No spills, drips, or chocolate mess.

About every 5th time I log into my PC, the KBD does not respond for PWD. Neither does my bluetooth KBD when I turn it on. The only solution is either reboot or use the on-screen KBD. No apparent driver updates. No interference from the bluetooth as it is usually off. Once logged in, all KBDs work fine.

What gives oh wise Dell experts?

4 Operator

• 

3.5K Posts

June 22nd, 2016 14:00

This is a system that may not be fully compatible with Windows 10, do you know if you had this problem before installing Windows 10?

Barring Windows 10 from being the problem on a lot of systems if you end up tapping one or more keys at the boot process it can hang the keyboard until Windows boots.  If  this is happening without pressing any of the keys then you may want to consider resetting the bios to defaults and see if the problem continues.  Enter the bios (hold the shift key while clicking restart and choose bios) choose the exit tab and choose set to defaults and then save changes and reboot.  You may want to consider updating the BIOS if you dont already have the latest revision A14

If this is something that only started happening after updating to Win 10 you may have your answer there. Otherwise I would look at the problem having to do with the BIOS.

TB

18 Posts

June 23rd, 2016 20:00

Terry B: Never had this problem before. Have been on Win10 Pro since last fall and problem appeared about 10 days ago. No new software installs in months.

4 Operator

• 

3.5K Posts

June 24th, 2016 16:00

I consider it unlikely that this could be a hardware failure, the keyboard and Bluetooth aren't really related unless it is a larger system board failure.  The fact that logging into Windows using the on screen keyboard corrects the issue further demonstrates that, if it was hardware booting into Windows should resolve the problem and the keyboard would still be inoperable.  

Checking the USB settings in the BIOS or resetting the BIOS may help and if you haven't taken a look that would be where I would check next.   As long as the problem doesn't occur anymore than it does, and as long as rebooting or logging into Windows corrects the issue I don't think I would worry much about this annoying as it may be. 

If anyone else has noted similar problems with their Studio's please post here. 

TB

18 Posts

June 25th, 2016 08:00

Terry B,

Thanks for your responses. BIOS up to date. 

I have been doing IT work for many years, but this one has me buffalo'd. The only thing new to PC is Win10 updates, but since MS has decided we do not need to know when, what, and choose, we have to live with it. I looked at the last update (6/14/16 KB31630108), but did not see anything that jumped out. Perhaps you have a better shot at that.

T

No Events found!