Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

6 Posts

May 30th, 2008 23:00

Keyboard problems, cursor jumps around randomly when typing

Dell already sent me a keyboard to replace problem still exists after repair.  It is a Dell XPS M1530 running Vista, 1 month old.  Problem started pretty early on but the itermitancy has made that hazy.  When typing usually in MS Word or Outlook I will look up and see that the cursor has jumped to somewhere else in the document completely messing thigs up.  Several posts on the message board about this topic, no real solutions.  A google search pulls up even less possible pointing towards a dell only type problem.  The keboard controller is on the motherbaord I believe.  I would hate to have to change that out only to find the problem sitll there.  Anyone have any new ideas, possible software confilt??  Really this is totally random.  Sometimes wont do it for a whole email session, sometimes every thirty seconds.  Thanks in advance for any help

5.2K Posts

May 31st, 2008 01:00

You may be touching the touch pad while typing. If so, you could try reducing the sensitivity in the properties.

XPS M1530, Vista Home Premium SP1, T7250 Core 2 Duo (2.0 GHz 800 MHz FSB), 4 GB DDR2 667 MHz RAM, 200 GB SATA II 7200 RPM, Nvidia 8600M GT 256 MB - 156.63 Driver, Wireless-AGN Mini-Card, BlueTooth, WSXGA+ High Def LCD (1680x1050) w/ 2 MP Camera

Dimension 9100, Dual-Boot Win XP SP2/ Vista Home Premium SP1, 3.0 GHz P4, 3 GB DDR2 533 MHz RAM, 160 GB SATA II Samsung (XP), 300 GB SATA II Seagate (Vista), 250 GB SimpleTech USB (WD Drive), Nvidia Go 6800 (425/825 MHz - XP, 400/800 MHz - Vista, Vista Driver - 169.25), Dell 1901 UltraSharp FP

Inspiron E1705, Win Vista Premium, T7200 Core 2 Duo (4MB, 2.0 GHz 667MHz), 2 GB DDR2 677 MHz RAM, 120 GB Samsung HD, Nvidia Go 7900 GS - 156.69 Driver, 17” Sharp UltraSharp TrueLife Wide-Screen WUXGA

48 Posts

May 31st, 2008 02:00

I have had simlar problems and im pretty sure it is because my fingers have touched the touch pad. As a test turn of the tap to click touchpad option and see if that stops the problem

5.2K Posts

May 31st, 2008 05:00

No we don't work for Dell, but try to help out the helpless like your for free. I have seen most every laptop do what yours is doing, and it's always because of the touchpad. Those with attitudes like yours are the ones that think they know everything, and always have something rude to say. So, work it out for yourself.

6 Posts

Are you sure you guys don't work for tech support.  I don't mean to sound crass but do you guys really think I would have taken the time to tike time to replace the keyboard, then post in this form as well, if I was doing ANYTHING other than touching the keys I want to type.  I can sit here and one finger it (hunt and pack) and the cursor will jump randomly, it is not the touchpad, or as another tech support guys said maybe your hitting the home and end keys????  This is only about my 10th laptop and this is the only one I can not type on, right.  Thanks for the replies guys but please, very insulting.

48 Posts

Well said Kirk I couldnt agree with you more.

4.6K Posts

May 31st, 2008 07:00

@toolmanz wrote:
...very insulting.

Pot >>> Kettle :smileysurprised:

Since you're not happy with the replies you've received in the community forums, I suggest you contact Dell tech support directly, to see if they can offer you any better advice?

I hope they are able to provide you with a suggestion which remedies the problem, 'coz heaven forbid they also get on your bad side :smileyvery-happy:

1 Message

June 9th, 2008 18:00

I just joined this forum with the exact same problem that you have.  I use an external mouse, not the mousepad.  And the jumping problem has gotten worse and worse.  Have you received any useful information to solve this problem?  Many thank (and I agree the answers are insulting..)

6 Posts

June 10th, 2008 00:00

@Kearny wrote:

I just joined this forum with the exact same problem that you have.  I use an external mouse, not the mouse pad.  And the jumping problem has gotten worse and worse.  Have you received any useful information to solve this problem?  Many thank (and I agree the answers are insulting..)

Yep sounds the same as me, the problem got worse and worse.  It was when I was using an external mouse when the problem was first noticed.  I did two things and now the problem has completely disappeared.  First I unchecked "Hide pointer when typing" under control panel --> mouse--> pointer options.  From this point I did not have the problem anymore, soon after I also changed my startup to load the Apoint.exe driver (I believe it is the dell touchpad driver control), I usually try to disable as many unnecessary services as possible but to avoid the problems I decided to let it load  so I could disable the "double tap" function of the touch pad (without Apoint.exe loaded the "double tap" feature was still enabled).  I really believe the first fix mentioned above took care of the problem but I also do not like the "double tap" feature of touch pads and the only way I could see to keep double tap disabled was to let the Apoint drive load then disable "double tap" under the touchpad settings.  So far it has been flawless, the problem would get especially bad when running a vmware guest and even with several guests running the problem has not cropped up.  Let me know if any of this solved your problems, I am curious to see if this is a universal fix for all of these people having similar problems.  Good Luck I know the problem is a huge pain.

1 Message

July 1st, 2010 05:00

I had the same problem for a Dell Mini 10 and downloaded the Elantech Touchpad driver from the Dell site and all is now fine.

3 Posts

January 29th, 2011 22:00

I have a inspiron 1520 laptop, with an external marble mouse.

If I am typing into Word or a forum such as this, the cursor sometimes jumps around. In Word, I can hit the undo button, bringing the word that I was typing that is butchered, cursor back to the end of it. I am only out a couple of letters. Sometimes I notice a delay in the word to be typed, and the letters have to catch up.

This is all very frustrating; noticing that this phenomena just sort of started up about a year ago. I haven't heard much on the problem, a year ago because there wasn't any dialog that had the vocabulary to explain this problem.

The other laptop that we have, an Inspiron 5150, doesn't have this issue. If that was the only computer I ever had, I wouldn't know what these people are talking about. This is a real issue, and at this point, doesn't seem to be a fix?

1 Message

October 17th, 2011 23:00

any chance you can walk me how to do this, i can barely use my laptop it skips around so much, it is prettyworthless until i can get this fixed.  thanks for step by step dir  (as you can see it happened multiple times within this message alone)

October 27th, 2011 15:00

I have a Dell N4110 with a Synaptics touchpad. I went to control panel>device manager> mice and other pointing devices >

clicked on Dell touchpad and uninstalled. Went to Dell site and downloaded new driver.

It now works normally. Can't believe I've lived with this problem for 4 months.

December 31st, 2011 08:00

This worked for me...THANK YOU!!!!!!!!

2 Posts

January 23rd, 2012 13:00

Amen bros..

January 28th, 2012 12:00

Solution:

Talked with Dell Support.  They suggested updating my Bios AND installing a new touchpad device driver.  BTW...my laptop didn't even have the touchpad driver in the first place!  Went to their web site, downloaded the two files and installed them.  It took about an hour.  

Problem solved.  My laptop is portable again!

No Events found!