Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

B

2 Posts

December 4th, 2006 12:00

Latitude D800 POST Light Codes

As of this morning, my D800 is not starting up. When I press the power-on button, all three keyboard indicator lights come on, and then the CAPS LOCK light flashes 10 times before the machine turns off again. No other signs of the machine starting up are apparent.

I have tried removing each of the memory sticks I have in turn, and a different hard drive (I've been noticing hard disc issues over the last couple of days) but it's made no difference.

Does anyone know what the CAPS LOCK light flashing 10 times means? And any idea how I can resurrect my laptop?

Thanks...

37 Posts

December 4th, 2006 23:00

If I remember correctly, I believe that the motherboard is having a bad day. When I worked for Dell some time ago we had to replace a lot of motherboard issues with the D800 for not powering up. Before anything did you try known good memory from another D800? I apologize that I don't have the correct response, but I believe the MB is bad. If the system will allow you hold the direct access or the mute button as you power the system. This is called PSA, Pre-Boot Self Assessment Diagnostics. Listen to the beeps that sounds. It will beep so many times and pause then beep so many times and pause and beep again so many times ex. 3-3-3, 1-3-1, 4-4-1, and so on. I have a copy of the beep codes for the Latitudes if you would like me to email you the codes for future reference.

37 Posts

December 30th, 2006 10:00

1. Dell™ Portable POST LED Codes
Failure of a Dell portable computer built in the year 2006 or later to complete the POST (Power-on Self Test) process will result in an LED code sequence that utilizes the Num Lock, Cap Lock, and Scroll Lock. The LED codes represent specific points during the POST process of the system.

Table 1 below details what each code represents during the POST process.

NOTE: The following table is intended for informational purposes only, and should not be used to dispatch parts or service.

NOTE: The Action That May Be Necessary column should only used as a guide for your actions and may not represent complete troubleshooting or root cause of the problem. For more thorough POST troubleshooting refer to DSN Decision tree: No POST, No Power, No Video [Dell™ Dimension™, Inspiron™, Latitude™, OptiPlex™, Precision™ Workstation]. Flash Code Description Action That May Be Necessary  The Microcontroller is handing control of the system to the processor. This code will persist if there is no processor detected.

1. Reseating the processor.

2. Replacing the processor.

3. Replacing the system board.

The memory has encountered an error.1. Reseating the memory.

3. Replacing the memory.

2. Replacing the system board.

A system board component is faulty. Replacing the system board.  The video card is preventing the system from completing POST.1. Replacing the video card.

The keyboard is preventing the system from completing POST.1. Reseating the keyboard cable.

2. Replacing the keyboard.

USB controller initialization.1. Removing any USB devices.

No SODIMM installed.1. Installing the memory.

2. Reseating the memory.

3. Replacing the memory.

4. Replacing the system board.

Turning on the LCD panel (after video configuration).1. Reseating the LCD cable.

2. Replacing the LCD panel.

3. Replacing the video card.

The modem is preventing the system from completing POST.1. Reseating the modem.

2. Replacing the modem.

If for some reason it doesnt show up I'll direct you to the website.

1 Message

hi, i have the same problem as yours. i found your post while searching a solution. could you figure out what it is?

2 Posts

I didn't I'm afraid - sb's message above made me feel I couldn't afford the time to try and track down the problem so I just invested in a new laptop - the D800 was showing (other) signs of age anyhow...

Sorry to be unable to offer you any more help.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

June 18th, 2010 05:00

If you've already checked the memory, try reseating the video card - there's an outside chance it's the cause.  If that doesn't fix it, replace the system board.

1 Message

June 18th, 2010 05:00

As of this morning, my D800 is not starting up. When I press the power-on button, all three keyboard indicator lights come on, and then the CAPS LOCK light flashes 10 times before the machine turns off again. No other signs of the machine starting up are apparent.

I have tried removing each of the memory sticks I have in turn, and a different hard drive (I've been noticing hard disc issues over the last couple of days) but it's made no difference.

Does anyone know what the CAPS LOCK light flashing 10 times means? And any idea how I can resurrect my laptop?

Thanks...

1 Rookie

• 

26 Posts

August 19th, 2010 17:00

[quote user="benzo8"]As of this morning, my D800 is not starting up. When I press the power-on button, all three keyboard indicator lights come on, and then the CAPS LOCK light flashes 10 times before the machine turns off again. No other signs of the machine starting up are apparent.

Thanks...

[/quote]

Hi,

I believe that Dell has changed his flash codes table around 2006. I got this 10 times flashing "A" symbol on a Dell Latitude D510 that was delivered on October 2005. It was definitively a memory slot issue on the system board. DIMM B module contact with motherboard was faulty. I removed the RAM stick from this module then everything was good but my laptop was running really slow (spending its time in swapping programs between memory and hard drive).

This 10 times flashing code has been discussed a lot over Internet and I can remember I found it here on Laptop-Junction:
http://www.laptop-junction.com/toast/content/dell-caps-lock-light-flashing-blinking

It was discussed about a Latitude D610 model that has been relased to market in 2005.

You can find also some tricks on the Web to improve contact between the RAM stick and the bus on the motherboard. In case you would be just facing an contact issue between the RAM stick and the RAM slot, it could work for you. It did not for me and lead me to conclude that the contact issue was between the RAM slot and the motherboard.

Hope it helps.

PS: many thanks for the new codes table (from 2006), it helped me for a RAM issue on a Latitude D520.

July 15th, 2012 17:00

So on my Dell Latitude 820, flashing numlock and capslock, with solid scrollock means that the video card is the problem?  Is this correct?  And the only solution is it replace the video card (which is soldered on to the motherboard) or repalce the motherboard?  Any other workarounds?

July 15th, 2012 17:00

PS - addition to above.  It is not the hard drive - I removed that and can read it on another system.  I tried different combinations in the two memory slots, whithout any success, so I don't think it is bad RAM.

1 Rookie

• 

26 Posts

September 5th, 2012 04:00

Yes, the video card or its connection to the motherboard should be faulty, according to both flashing codes tables from 2005 and 2006. The codes for bad RAM slot or module are different. It's up to you to decide if renewing solders for the video card is worth the money you have to pay for such an operation. Maybe you can manage this operation by your own or you know someone who can do it for some bucks. Good luck!

1 Message

November 25th, 2013 14:00

I can confirm this, when I switched ram cards it worked again after the caps key blinking. Thanks. :)

No Events found!