Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 18th, 2016 04:00

Latitude E5470 - Win 7 Installation - No Drivers

Hi ,

I am having problems installing our corporate version of Windows 7 Enterprise.

I have four new E5470 Laptops, all without an internal CD/DVD drive installed.

When loading Windows 7 Enterprise from either an external USB connected CD/DVD Rom drive, or from a USB 3 stick, the installation commences as far as letting you change the language set from US to UK English but then bombs out after this.

It comes back with the error "No device drivers were found. Make sure that the installation media contains drivers and then click ok". 

I have downloaded and installed all the drivers from the Dell web site for this model laptop onto the installation USB 3 stick but it still does not see and let you select them. Or if you plug in another separate USB stick or if you burn the drivers to CD and change the disk in the external drive unit.

It seems to be because these 'drivers' or whatever files are required, need to be slip streamed into the installation routine.

I have four of these laptops in total, all brand new, and the fault happens on each.

Windows driver problem? 

1 Message

June 22nd, 2016 08:00

1 Download Intel USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller Driver for Windows 7 (Chipset category) - Dell Support website.

2 Extract drivers and copy files to a partition on the computer you are trying to install Windows 7

3 Run the installation, when prompted, browse for the driver and install.

4 Continue with Windows 7 installation.

5 Enjoy Windows 7 on your computer.

2 Posts

March 18th, 2016 12:00

If I understand your situation properly, we're in the same boat. Basically I received a laptop with the 7 pro install on it directly from Dell and wanted to install 7 enterprise by using a bootable USB.

Due to the age of the win7 ent installer, a lot of new dell systems are coming with usb hubs which can't properly read an external drive without the USB3 driver being manually installed during the process. Since the problem is that it can't read the USB, you can't put the drivers on the USB. My solution was to put them onto a partition on the internal drive and install them from there. Once that was done (and the installation media was in the USB on the right side, as the back would still not recognize it?), I hit the rescan and the OS installation went forward without issue.

If you want to actually solve your problem to avoid this in the future, you could potentially import the USB drivers into the bootable .wim through use of the DISM tool, but my first attempt resulted in a frozen installer so I didn't bother. I have had the same issue with a few new Optiplex towers, so it might be worth it in the future.

March 21st, 2016 03:00

Thanks for this Msbenz, I think you are spot on.

It seems there is indeed a problem with the USB3 drivers to the newer USB hubs but also with the drivers for the new on board Intel 'Skylake' graphics controllers. 

We found this out after unsuccessful conversations with Dell Tech. Support and escalating it to our account manager.

We have now been sent an OEM USB recovery stick. This contains an ISO installer with the options for Windows:

Home Basic,  Home Premium, Professional, and Ultimate,

but not Enterprise.

I have yet to figure out the suggested resolution.

3 Posts

April 7th, 2016 22:00

Hi All,

We got any solutions for this yet? I've got the same problem here with multiple laptops. From what I read we have no solution of reformatting laptop with Windows 7 Enterprise??

Thanks,

Josh

April 8th, 2016 07:00

Alas no. I had no success with copying the drivers on to an internal hard drive partition as previously suggested.

I also spent quite some time on the phone with Dell Support.

We tried three different Dell suggested programs to inject the drivers into the ISO image.

NT Lite

Win7_USB3.0 Creator

Win7_Boot

None of them worked. I ended up sending one of our laptop samples back to Dell in Glasgow to be looked at. They had some problems imaging it but are now looking at it at present. I should see the laptop back toward the middle of next week.

Credit to Dell Tech Support though. They've been on board with this all along. 

3 Posts

April 10th, 2016 17:00

Thanks heaps for the prompt reply.

I thought maybe I could try a few of those options to see if I had any luck too however if you didn't succeed I might be wasting my time also.

Please let me know the results when you get the laptop back this week. I'd be interested in their solution and how we could utilise the resolution for the laptops we've got.

3 Posts

April 10th, 2016 18:00

Update.

Just tried the following;

1. Used Double Driver to backup all the drivers on the laptop

2. Moved the USB drivers to existing C Drive

3. Booted my USB was able to select the following driver folder Intel(R) USB 3.0 Root Hub which allowed me to continue the installation. The driver was selectable from the Local HDD the installer could see.

4. Once installed I was then able to access my USB stick to install remaining drivers from my new Enterprise windows install.

Not the optimal solution however it does work. Only thing is you need the original install intact. I guess for those where you don't have the original install intact simpy remove the hard drive and transfer the driver manually to the laptop hdd then proceed through from Step 3 above. I'll have to try this method on one of the laptops I have.

Cheers,
Josh.

1 Message

May 19th, 2016 13:00

May Be this Video Help You :)

June 17th, 2016 08:00

we had the same issue but found a little work around

create a bootable windows 7 usb with usb 3 drivers in

install the windows 7 create a local profile then once done remove the hard drive and connect to a pc as a 2nd drive then download all the drivers needed for the laptop the copy them straight to the hard drive ie user profiles desktop.

then put the hard drive back in the laptop boot back in and you should be able to see all the drivers on the desktop.

worked for me

11 Posts

September 7th, 2016 07:00

Thanks for the suggestion and it did work for me.  I did have to rescan and select the USB 3.0 root Hub driver after it failed to find any devices on the first attempt with the USB 3 extensible host driver.

No Events found!