Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 14th, 2011 20:00

Latitude d610 network controller driver

My hard drive went bad. I installed a new one and loaded it up with xp operating system. I went to the dell driver support site and downloaded the recommended drivers and installed them in the recommended order (twice). Each time I still get the network controller and the PCI modem still have no drivers. The recommended order is a little sketchy in that you sometimes cannot tell which files go what hardware. Any recommendations?

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

July 15th, 2011 04:00

Are you accessing the downloads via your service tag number?  That is the best way. 

The install sequence can make or break an install.  The correct and required install is (1) Install Windows (2) Install Dell Desktop or Laptop System software on applicable models (3) Install Motherboard chipset drivers (4) Install Device Drivers including Video, Dell sound drivers, Ethernet, etc. 

We find that the chipset drivers are often overlooked and they are key to a successful install.  One of the prime things the chipset drivers do is define (Identify) all the hardware devices on the motherboard.

2 Posts

July 15th, 2011 07:00

Yes, I was accessing the downloads via my service tag number. Yes, I understand that the installation order is critical, but there are some places where the order is not crystal clear. There are three files in the chipset category: Broadcom Trusted Platform Module, Intel Mobile Chipset and Texas Instruments PCI 6515. Do I install them all? The Broadcom installation starts giving me error messages later on during the rest of the install process. Also step 4, Network Interface Card, and step 7, Wireless Network Card, both reference files in the Network category. There are six files there and it is not clear which file(s) go with which step. Any clarifications out there?

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

July 15th, 2011 15:00

The Intel chipset driver, which is for the motherboard should be the first one installed.  One of the prime things the Intel chipset drivers do is define (identify) all the devices on the motherboard. 

If you need more assistance, repost on the Software section.  Include the PC model number and Operating System when you repost (required on any initial problem post - too many different Dell models and configurations). 

No Events found!