Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

J

December 8th, 2015 12:00

Lattitude E7450 keyboards interchangable?

Hello,

I know the E7450 is sold with a keyboard that does and does not have the track stick and extra buttons. I'm just curious if I have a model without them and I go to replace the keyboard at any point, can I add these features by picking up the other keyboard? Are the connectors already there? Will it fit, or would I have to also change out the cover around the keyboard?

Thanks.

4 Operator

• 

3.5K Posts

December 8th, 2015 13:00

Checking here for the Latitude E7450 the only option for the keyboard was backlit dual pointer, this was including the least expensive models so I don't know if you will have a choice to choose a non dual pointer keyboard.

Instructions for removing the keyboard on the users manual are the same so I am assuming that if you are able to get the system with a non pointer keyboard you will later be able to connect a pointer keyboard without an issue. It is easy to see though that the keyboard diagrammed in the manual doesn't have a pointer.

This isn't something that I have tried so if any of you out there that has a 7450 and has tried changing out pointer and non pointer keyboards please reply if it is possible or not.

TB

3 Posts

December 8th, 2015 14:00

I have two Latitude E7450's here that are just normal keyboards. No backlight, no dual pointer.

i7-5600u/16GB Ram/256 SK hynix mSATA SSD/Win 8.1 Pro

The manual seems to show removal on a keyboard like mine, but no dual pointer. However I'm almost positive that you can't just switch them without extra parts other than the keyboard.

As a matter of fact, on the Dell website right now, if you look HERE, if you look closely at the first 2 pictures and the 360 degree view you can see it is a standard keyboard without the dual pointer option. I'm having a hard time finding images of it, but HERE is one on that page further down. 

You can see in this image of the dual pointer model that the extra buttons in the dual pointer keyboard come down further into the keyboard cover.

http://cdn.laptopmag.com/images/uploads/ppress/44877/dell-latitude-e7450-w-g15.jpg

These looks to be part # D19TR. While the standard keyboard looks to be part # 94F68.

Each one looks to require different trim pieces. It looks like 2 actually. An inner trim piece that sits between the keys. And the external trim that covers across the hand rest sections and stuff. I can't find if these are sold by Dell or not however.

The bigger concern though is the electrical parts. I'd assume there would be slots for the electrical connections, but I don't know. I do know that if you look up both of those part numbers for the different keyboards, they have very different cables. The backlight dual pointer has 4 ribbon connectors (3 small, 1 large), while the standard only has the 1 ribbon cable. I'd assume the extra 3 small cables are for the stick pointer and buttons.

So what I'm looking to determine is (1) What those trim pieces part #'s are and if they can be purchased. (2). Without taking the keyboard off, if I can confirm that the 3 extra connectors would be present.

4 Operator

• 

3.5K Posts

December 9th, 2015 09:00

After more research I looked up D19TR and it is the correct part number for the dual pointer back lit keyboard for the E7450.  I didn’t see any differentiation's with the system boards themselves for keyboards, only for processors and discreet graphics, so it looks like the any of the keyboard assembly’s will work with any of the system boards for the 7450.  What is very different are the palm rests, and a different model of palm rest will need to be swapped out when changing out from a normal keyboard to a dual pointer model. 

Neither the palm rest nor the keyboard is considered to be user swappable items by tech support, and I wouldn’t suggest swapping them out while the system is still under warranty.

For those out of warranty E7450s there are six different models of palm rest, including different models for USH, smart card, and the different keyboard models, GNRHX and 6YWY4 are the palm rests models for dual pointer keyboards.

All in all if you are eventually wanting the back lit dual pointer keyboard I just don’t think that you are going to be saving a lot by not ordering the dual point keyboard at point of sale. 

3 Posts

December 12th, 2015 09:00

Thank you.

In my case I'm looking at it for when I have to replace a keyboard in the future (wear and tear). I have these deployed throughout a company. Also, I got these non-pointer models for roughly 50% less then what I'd have to pay to get the pointer model, so it was a massive savings.

4 Operator

• 

3.5K Posts

December 14th, 2015 07:00

That does make a difference if you already have the systems ordered.  If you do decide to swap out one of the single pointer keyboards for a dual pointer please let me know how it goes.

TB

No Events found!