Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

1 Message

February 4th, 2009 05:00

Led for numlock and capslock don't light up

Hello I am new to the community.

I have just received my new Dell Studio 15 with the backlight keyboard option. Other than Vista that was included, I added Office 2007 and Autocad 2008 on it, maybe in this process some options were deactivated without me knowing. I always use a wireless mouse to work on it. I don't remember if the led indicator for the numlock and capslock worked before that, but now they don't light up. The capslock is working that I am sure of. But the numlock doesn't seem too since I have to use the numbers in the first row. Before calling the tech support, maybe someone here had this problem too.

Thanks

April 25th, 2009 01:00

Hey there,

I have experienced a similar problem like yours with the NumLK LED. Did some googling and I think it happens to others too but it is unnoticable to them until after awhile :emotion-7:. I'm using a backlit keyboard too and after around a month of using it, my NumLK LED started to flicker and would return back to normal for a while. The condition got worst. Instead of flickers, it stops lighting up for a few minutes or so and lights back up where the duration of it lighting up was not any longer than it is not lighting up. Eventually, mine became like yours where it stops lighting up permanently. I did everything that I could possibly think of and even take a look in the BIOS section (did not open up my unit though, afraid that I might void the warranty and damage something else). I called Dell technical support and I got a replacement keyboard from them. Since then, everything worked fine. I thought that the problem was settled. I was wrong. Yesterday, the same symptoms appeared again (flickering and stop lighting up) and today it totally stopped lighting up. I have a feeling that this problem happens to all of the Dell Studio line with backlit keyboard (not sure about other models with backlit keyboard). It is only a matter of time. Basically, I have 2 backlit keyboards where I think the NumLK LED fused and I am wondering if I should get another replacement or leave it as it is since it might happen again. I really hope Dell would fix this problem. It nearly seems like Dell is selling us products with defective design.

16 Posts

May 31st, 2009 16:00

Just googled for others with this issue and came across this.. I just noticed mine yesterday not working anymore... Besides a new keyboard has anyone found a fix???

16 Posts

May 31st, 2009 20:00

Here is another forum with our issue.. http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=331976

I chatted with Dell and they told me I need to send in my laptop to have them fix it.. They said it is a mother board issue..

I can't have downtime from my laptop......

Now what????

June 1st, 2009 06:00

On the other hand, this NumLk LED issue doesn't seem to affect studio keyboards without backlit feature (at least, from my experience). This LED burnout issue is really bad. Eventhough, if you got a backlit keyboard and all, it just somehow ruins everything because of the LED issues.

16 Posts

June 1st, 2009 20:00

I just don't see how it is a motherboard issue.. The key still works and so do the numbers.. Just that darn little light doesn't work...Just enough to bug me for some reason..

They just need to send me a keyboard and see if that fixes it.. and if it is a burn out issue. Now that I know, i can keep the num lock off till I use the pad..

1 Message

August 21st, 2009 22:00

Hi im new to the community also,

I have a studio 1735 laptop and my num lock key just started to do the same thing! the key still works but the light sttoped working. i dont even remember if it flickered before it went out but it shure is getting on my nerves. does anyone have sum advice???

Thanks.

August 22nd, 2009 18:00

What I suggest is that you get a replacement keyboard from Dell. Should be included in the warranty. When  yu get you new keyboard installed, make sure to keep you NumLK key off all the time. Only when you need to use it, then turn it on. After you are done using it, turn it off. This will minimize the risk of the LED burning out. That is the best solution that other users have came up with so far.

No Events found!