Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 27th, 2009 10:00

{MOVED}Microphone not working on Dell XPS laptop

I have a Dell XPS laptop with a built in webcam. I can't get the microphone to work with it as I understand there is one built in. Can anyone suggest ways to get it working.

Please keep any suggestions simple as I am no computer boffin!

16 Posts

May 27th, 2009 11:00

I have had a similar problem several times with the mic and the speakers on my XPSM2010 in the past. The most likely fix for me has been to go to the tray icon, right click it, pick recording devices. For some reason something in there keeps changing the default device to Microphone/Line In instead of Microphone Array. Just right click Microphone Array and pick set as default device. The same goes for playback devices. It seems to keep changing itself to Digital output device instead of headphone/speakers. If this doesn't work I just reinstall the driver. I have Vista x64 and it seems like every time I install anything it kills the sound driver and I have to re-install it.

7 Posts

February 20th, 2013 14:00

I have to admit the instructions (or lack thereof) for installing the Logitech Quickcam software/driver for the M2010 XPS computer make the entire process of getting the integrated webcam to function properly on this computer unnecessarily difficult and confusing.

Taking your suggestion for using the "Micophone Array" versus "Microphone/Line" as the type of microphone to be used when using the Logitech QuickCam, I selected the "Microphone Array (SigmaTel High Definition Audio CODEC)" option for the microphone option under "Audio Settings".  After choosing this option, the Logitech settings were confirmed to be the correct settings for the internal digital array microphone.  This almost sounds too simple an explanation to invoke for the internal digital microphone.  In order to get to the point where clicking on the Logitech QuickCam microphone settings will do any good,  the correct software/driver must be downloaded from Dell's driver support website for the M2010 XPS computer.  The software can be found under "Input (3)" .  Just select "Logitech-Application".  The "Logitech-Driver" does not have to be selected.  The driver is included in the application.  Once the download is complete and the Logitech QuickCam application has been installed, it may be necessary to Restart the computer. 

Note: I am currently running the Windows Vista, 32 bit operating system.

Thank you for your help!

No Events found!