Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

E

September 29th, 2009 13:00

Mini 9 Inspiron shows "operating system not found" and bios shows HDD size of 0MB

Hello,

My 8 month old "Mini 9" Inspiron 910 shows "operating system not found" on boot-up and bios shows HDD size of 0MB.  Fixed shows STEC PATA 16GB-(PM).

Any suggestions?  I realize re-installing XP is my next bet  but I can't boot to USB.  maybe the Solid State HD DEAD???

I would appreciate any help!!!  thanks!

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

September 29th, 2009 16:00

Sounds like a good diagnosis - call Dell and request a warranty replacement for the faulty drive.

2 Posts

June 13th, 2010 13:00

Hi, Just got a similar message on my mini. I would like to confirm if the problem is with the hard drive before buying a new one from the internet. Did you ever get yours fixed? Was it the SSD?Finally, how would you restore Windows XP without an external CD drive? Than you.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

June 14th, 2010 05:00

You will need an external CD/DVD drive to install the operating system once you've replaced the drive.

16 Posts

September 30th, 2011 10:00

I can email you a utility that STEC emailed me that updated the firmware and restored my 16Gb...

16 Posts

September 30th, 2011 10:00

I can email you a utility that STEC emailed me that updated the firmware and gave me the 16Gb back.. Installing XP on it now..

4 Posts

October 31st, 2011 10:00

I have had the same problem, installed a new HD and am trying to install

XP with an external dvd.. it gets hung up onthe dell screen.. do you have to install the firmware first

Any advice would be welcome.

1 Message

November 18th, 2011 20:00

Can you share the name of the utility or where it can be found ? Same problem here.

1 Message

December 11th, 2011 18:00

can you email that to me please..... having the same issue....thank you so much....

4 Posts

December 12th, 2011 06:00

Anyone who still has an issue. The HD in my Mini 9 died, we replaced it and tried reinstalling

Windows XP using an external HD, but it would not complete the process

after it rebooted. Finally found WinToFlash on Cnet, which enables you to copy all the

XP installation files to a USB, Changed the bios in the Mini, booted to the

USB and the installation was successful.

16 Posts

December 12th, 2011 09:00

Please send me and email at < ADMIN NOTE : Email id removed per privacy policy > and I'll email you the STEC Utility... It worked for me.. No Guarantee it will work... But, I'll send it to whomever needs it...

Happy Holidays..

16 Posts

December 13th, 2011 06:00

Looks like the folks here at Dell don't want email addresses posted to help others out with a UTILITY that they should simply just put on the driver download page to help their customers out... If anyone needs to get in touch with me.. My USER ID here is the same as my SCREEN NAME on one of "America's" first "On-Line" providers.. ;-)

Happy Holidays and hope the Utility that some of you have gotten is working out.....

December 14th, 2011 12:00

Hello my Dell mini 9 has is experiencing the same problem in this thread, my STEC HDD is reporting the Size: 0MB if you could send me the utility it would be appreciated.

Thank You

David

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

February 29th, 2012 10:00

I need that utility as well

16 Posts

February 29th, 2012 11:00

< ADMIN NOTE : Email id removed per privacy policy >.. Or contact STEC...

Thanks..

4 Posts

August 22nd, 2012 16:00

Thanks N857CH...  finally after weeks of pulling out hair, cursing, etc...

No Events found!