Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 21st, 2012 16:00

Need Drivers: Mass Storage & Unknown Device

I am doing a fresh install of Windows XP home on a Latitude E5420 i5.  All went very well 'till I noticed I am missing a mass storage controller driver and an "unknown device" driver.  I have searched www.support.dell.com and cannot identify those two drivers for download.  I could surely use your help, please.  I've been looking for these drivers for two days.

Thanks in advance,

Denny G.:emotion-18:

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

November 21st, 2012 16:00

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

November 22nd, 2012 04:00

Okay that is the ST Microelectronics Free Fall Sensor http://ftp.dell.com/app/DRVR_WIN_R309372.EXE 

Also there is one other thing you should install if you haven't already which is often overlooked:

Dell ControlPoint System manager R312258 A21. Version 1.7.10000 Update Package 46124 KB  (Windows XP) this is needed for the media buttons and onscreen volume/brightness meter.

Glad you like my wikies :)

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

November 22nd, 2012 10:00

Glad to help. :)

With regards to SATA operation AHCI should have better performance than ATA. ATA will still work but AHCI is better.

The reason you couldn't boot with Windows XP when the hard drive is set to AHCI is because your XP Installation CD doesn't include the SATA drivers. Generally you have to slipstream them using nLite or use a floppy disk and press F6 when booting (your unit won't have a floppy drive so you have to slipstream them).

Unfortunately if you want to install Windows XP with the AHCI setting you will need to start from scratch.

Follow my wiki here http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/software-os/w/microsoft_os/3324.2-5-upgrade-your-dell-xp-reinstallation-disc-with-service-pack-3-internet-explorer-8-and-windows-media-player-11.aspx

And install XP using the new CD/DVD.

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/software-os/w/microsoft_os/1438.1-3-a-clean-install-of-windows-xp-on-dell-systems.aspx

Reinstall all the same system drivers as before.

7 Posts

November 21st, 2012 17:00

Thanks!  I'll give 'er a try and get back with you.  Again, thank you for your quick response.

Denny G.

7 Posts

November 21st, 2012 17:00

Hi Philip.  Your first link took care of my Mass Storage Controller.  Thank you!!  The second link produced this HARDWARE ID:  ACPI\SMO8800 *SMO8800 for the unknown device.  By the way, nice job on your web site.  I'm adding it to my favorites.

Thank you,

Denny G.

7 Posts

November 22nd, 2012 07:00

I don't know how to thank you.  Everything you gave me, links included, worked perfectly!  Now, I will do a restore image of the new Win. XP installation so it doesn't take me three days to install, if there is a next time.

I have another unrelated, small issue about SATA Operation I will place in another post.

Thanks again, Philip,

Denny G.

7 Posts

November 22nd, 2012 16:00

Thanks, Philip.  I guess as long as ATA performs as well as it appears to, I'll just leave well enough alone.

Best to you and thanks for all your help.  I don't know what I would have done without it.

Denny G.

No Events found!