Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 3rd, 2013 14:00

Number lock

I just purchased a R15 and the number lock key does not stay on. I also purchased an R17 in December and that laptop holds the number lock. Does anyone have any idea why one will and the other doesn't? Thanks

• 

3.3K Posts

February 3rd, 2013 17:00

Hi Upper Walston Heights,  

Please elaborate the exact issue you are facing with the Num Lock key. In case the model is 15R/5520, below is the picture of the keyboard which does not have a Num Lock key. Hence I need more information to assist you further.

58 Posts

February 3rd, 2013 18:00

I've got a pretty new 17R 7720 and the NUM lock turns itself on and/or off at random.

Sometimes when I boot up, it's on, and at other times it's off.

Go figure LOL.

February 3rd, 2013 18:00

It's an Inspiron 15R/ 5521, it's had the separate number pad on the right. Thanks

• 

3.3K Posts

February 6th, 2013 19:00

Hi ausGeoff,

I request you to perform the same steps given in the previous post. In case the operating system is Windows 7, click start and in the search box type Device manager and then click on the Device manager from the list.

BIOS: http://dell.to/UG8FVf

Chipset: http://dell.to/UD6MK6

The above given link for chipset is for Windows 7, in case you have different driver, please let me know. Please reply to this post with the status.

• 

3.3K Posts

February 6th, 2013 19:00

Hi Upper Walston Heights,

I would like to know if the Num lock LED is an issue or if the Num lock key itself is not working. Please check if the numbers respond in spite of the Num lock LED off. Also I request you to uninstall the keyboard driver in the device manager.  Open the charms bar by moving the mouse to right top corner of the screen and in the search box, type ‘Device Manager’, and then, in the list of results, click ‘Device Manager’.   When the device manager pops up, in the list please check for ‘keyboards’ right click on it and uninstall the keyboard driver, restart the system and the driver will get installed again. Check the Num Lock key status.

In case the issue persists, flash BIOS to the latest version and install the chipset driver from the links below:

BIOS: http://dell.to/XQiKPn

While flashing BIOS connect the Ac adapter and make sure the battery has minimum 15% charge as this needs uninterrupted power supply. Do not use the system till it restarts and comes up to the desktop.

Chipset: http://dell.to/XQiKPn

Restart the system and check the status of the Num Lock key. Please reply to this post with the status.

• 

3.3K Posts

February 11th, 2013 23:00

Hi Upper Walston Heights/ausGeoff,

Unfortunately we have not received feedback from you on this topic. If you need continued support, please respond to this post. Other community members who need assistance please start your own topic in a new thread.

58 Posts

February 12th, 2013 01:00

Thanks for responding Sujatha...

I've decided I'd rather simply turn the NUM lock on manually as necessary.  I'd prefer not to flash the BIOS again or download any other drivers as everything else is now working (fairly) well with the OS.  And I don't want to upset anything else!

The only remaining issue is the warping of the lower part of the casing (the keyboard section) for which I'll post in a separate thread.

—Cheers, Geoff.

April 14th, 2013 20:00

Sujatha,

the problem is that the number lock key does not have a lighted indicator on the key like the caps lock key.  is there a way for the monitor to have some kind of indication that the number lock key is active or inactive, or better yet, is there a setting that can simply leave the number lock key on at all times?  there is NO purpose to have a number keypad if you're not going to use it for numbers.  

the caps lock key is GREAT because of the little white light integrated into the key.  the lack of indication on the number lock key is LAME!!!

Thanks.. Scott Shimamoto.. <ADMIN NOTE: Email ID removed per privacy policy>

No Events found!