Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 2nd, 2013 11:00

Nvidia 3D on an Inspiron 17R SE 7720

Hi,

My wife has an Inspiron 17R SE 7720 laptop, approx 3 months old. The laptop is capable of showing 3D movies, but you obviously need some 3D glasses to watch them. I've found Nvidia 3D glasses on sale and 3D kits, which contain glasses and an IR emitter. However I have a feeling this laptop has a built in emitter. At least there's a panel that looks like an infra-red device, next to the webcam. The documentation is shockingly bad. Even when I put the service tag into the dell support site, it brings up manuals for other models, e.g. the 5720  or the 7110. I can't find anything that tells me what this IR device is.

Can anyone help confirm what it is? Or whether I need to buy the kit? Or hopefully just the glasses!

Thanks
Steve

4 Operator

• 

2.5K Posts

January 2nd, 2013 12:00

Hi steveblakemore,

The Inspiron 17R SE 7720 laptop does have the IR emitter, However to access the 3D vision your computer should have the 3D LCD screen to support the 3D vision. I have added you as a friend. Please accept my friend request by clicking on my name highlighted in blue and then click on “Friends” tab at the top and then click on “Request to Review” and finally click on “Accept” button.

I am sending you a private message as well. Click on “Inbox” to respond to the message and provide system’s Service Tag to check the system configuration, so I may check the region/country from where the system was purchased and assist you accordingly. You could also click on Start Conversation to send a private message.

January 2nd, 2013 14:00

Hi Senthil, I sent you a private message with the service tag on. I believe there is a 3D LCD screen fitted, because I have had a 3D Blu-ray movie playing on it. Only problem is, I can't watch it without glasses, and I don't know what to buy, just glasses or emitter also. Also, I don't know how to set the glasses up.

Thanks,

Steve

4 Operator

• 

2.5K Posts

January 3rd, 2013 10:00

Hi steveblakemore,

Inspiron 17R SE 7720 laptop has a built in IR Emitter; hence you can only purchase the 3D glass. To enable the 3D vision please follow the steps below.

Right Click on the desktop and open NVIDIA Control Panel.

Check the box next Enable stereoscopic 3D under Set up Stereoscopic 3D.

I hope you find this useful.

January 3rd, 2013 15:00

Hi Senthil,

This is indeed useful, thank you.

When I check the box, it launches a 3D setup wizard. There are several options, but not one for a built-in IR emitter. Do I need to install a driver? The IR emitter is not showing in Device Manager, either.

Thanks for your help,

Steve

4 Operator

• 

2.5K Posts

January 4th, 2013 11:00

Hi steveblakemore,

You can update the video driver from the link below.

http://dell.to/RygcqY

After updating the video driver check if the IR Emitter option is available.

Please do reply for further assistance.

January 5th, 2013 09:00

Hi,

I updated the driver from that link. But I still see no links to the built-in emitter and I can't get it to work with my nvidia 3d glasses.

Regards,

Steve

4 Operator

• 

2.5K Posts

January 9th, 2013 11:00

Hi steveblakemore,

The IR Emitter may not be visible in the system but when you launch 3D the IR Emitter will work automatically. You need to launch the 3D wizard and complete the setup. Once the 3D wizard completes successfully then the 3D will work.

The 3D Glasses Setup Wizard is embedded in the Graphic Card Control Panel. Right click the mouse on the desktop, and then select the NVIDIA Control Panel in the popup menu.

Select the Stereoscopic 3D Page from the topics in the left window panel. In the Stereoscopic 3D setup page, you can enable or disable the 3D function, and you also can do other 3D settings.

In this 3D setup page, the final button is Test Stereoscopic 3D, with which you can test your 3D glasses. On the same button, just click the arrow and drag the button options. Select the Run Setup Wizard option so that you can make changes.

January 17th, 2013 14:00

Hi Senthil

The 3D glasses work but only for about 10 minutes, then they have to be turned on again by pressing the button on the sidearm. I can't complete the setup wizard because hte option for built-in ir emitter isn't there.

Steve

6 Posts

November 1st, 2016 13:00

I am using 7720 SE 1080 without 3D. If I change screen to 3d support lcd screen, can I use 3d vision ?

I have usb emitter and glasses.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

November 1st, 2016 14:00

The screen alone won't get you 3D -- you would need to change the screen along with the wiring harness and the entire mainboard.  The 3D system uses a different mainboard.

The board alone is about $300 used - by the time you add a screen and wiring harness you'll  be at or over $500 -- this is not an economically sensible upgrade.

6 Posts

November 1st, 2016 16:00

thanks ejn63

No Events found!