Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

B

September 25th, 2004 09:00

PCMCIA Error

I have a dell Inspion 8600 laptop running Windows XP. When I place a PCMCIA Card into the single slot at the side of my laptop I get the following error message appear in my event log:

The description for Event ID ( 9 ) in Source ( Pcmcia ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: \Device\Pcmcia0.

I am unable to then do anything with the card.

I have tried upgrading my BIOS to the latest release A10 but that did not seem to help. I have had a quick search on google for any info on this error but had no real joy. There are no conflicts are listed in Device Manager and the PCMCIA Adapter says it is working correctly.

Has anyone else had this problem with their dell? Any advice on how I might reslove this would be greatfully apprecited as I have ended up going around in circles!!

4 Posts

September 25th, 2004 16:00

I have an Olympus PCMCIA smart card reader, and in the last week, my Inspiron 600m running XP Pro just stopped recognizing it.  Went thru an hour of troubleshooting with a Dell rep who finally said...you guessed it, "you need to reinstall XP" - that's when the call ended.  I am going to try with Dell again today, and I will update if I get any progress.  Please do the same.

Thx.

September 25th, 2004 19:00

Alas after freshly installing Windows XP again, I got exactly the same error message.
No Events found!