Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

R

January 30th, 2004 19:00

Power adapter beeping

Last night I closed my computer and left it plugged into the surge protector as usual.  Getting back from classes today I opened it back up and it wouldn't turn on.  I looked at the power adapter and the green light wasn't on so I unplugged it, and plugged it back in.  At this point the adapter started beeping at me, beep beep beep, never stopping.  I tried it in two more wall outlets and it just did the samething as it was before.  I searched on here, and didn't find anything useful about the beeping noises, so maybe someone can point me in the right direction or tell me what needs to be done.  I need this fixed soon, I'm a computer science major and can't be without it for long because all my programs I need for the semester are on there, not to mention programs I've written.  Thanks in advanced.

Bradley

January 30th, 2004 20:00

I just took the battery out of the back of my laptop and put it back in, and the laptop came on.  Adapter still isin't working, which means I still can't use my laptop for any lengthy period of time.

369 Posts

January 31st, 2004 09:00

A beeping power adapter? I don't think so...no light on the power brick?...Its dead then....the likely source of these beeps is the from  POST (Power On Self Test) as the computer tries to boot up. The pattern you suggest is indicative of there being not enough power to boot up...ie. your battery is flat, dead or dying, and the mains supply isn't getting through (dead powerbrick)

January 31st, 2004 13:00

Well I'm sad to say, I do think so because the brick still beeps even when it's not plugged in to the computer.  And, if you would have read my message above you would have realized that my computer now works, since I took the battery out and put it back in then it started up.  So, yes, the brick is beeping at me and it's not a computer.  I think I'm smart enough to figure out where the beep is coming from, and since the brick beeps at me when it's not even near the computer and plugged in, I can safely say the beeps are coming from there and not when the computer is tryign to come on(ya know, since the computer now works and the battery is fine) l.

791 Posts

February 1st, 2004 01:00

I think the best and only solution would be to call Dell support and get them to replace the power adapter (as long as your warranty is still valid).

369 Posts

February 1st, 2004 09:00

Considering you neglected to share the fact that the powerbrick beeps when nowhere near the computer in your initial posting, I obviously made the mistake of believing the thing was attached to or nearby the 'puter and you was trying to start the machine up...oh silly me. [memo to self...must get crystal ball fixed]

Even so, the diagnosis I gave (given the facts available) is correct...the powerbrick is dead, defunct, no longer serviceable. As viper says, contact Dell for a replacement.

With any 'help forum' those attempting to help can only base their replies on the strength of the info supplied. The more detail that is shared on what is wrong/what you've tried etc can often help us to help you better, saves peeps suggesting a course of action only to be told.."tried that" in a subsequent posting.

As for the phenomenon of a beeping powerbrick...I've witnessed powerbricks exploding, melting and even catching fire when a fault develops. I guess it's likely that the switching accumulator or some other internal 'gubbins' probably has a built in audible warning to alert the user to disconnect from the mains to avoid one of the three scenarios I've witnessed. Glad to see technology is improving, a beep is much more preferrable to a BOOM any day in my book

2.6K Posts

February 2nd, 2004 17:00

All,

Just for conformation: To my knowledge, we (Dell) do not ship an AC adaptor that has the ability to “beep” by design i.e. if the thing is malfunctioning, then I guess anything is possible, so it could be making some sort of noise, but in general that would not be the case.

Either way, this AC adaptor, would need to be replaced.

1 Message

February 8th, 2004 22:00

Redstorm isn't hearing things, i just experienced the same problem with my i8600 ac adaptor about an hour ago. I was playing a game, and then screen went dim as if it had been unplugged, so I checked the connection to make sure i didn't accidently unplug it. Sure enough it was still plugged in, but there was no green light on the power brick. I put the brick to my ear and heard a very audible beeping sound, so I unplugged it and it stopped. I let it sit and cool off and then tried it again, but only experianced the same beeping sound. Could the sound be coming from a failing capacitor inside the brick? (only a guess, i've heard a "beeping" capacitor that was failing in my speaker amplifier before.) At any rate, having to get a replacement barely even a month after I got the computer will be a major annoyance, I hope this doesn't occur again.

1 Message

May 1st, 2004 16:00

It's true!! The power adapter I got with my Inspiron 8600 (I got the higher wattage one) stopped working. I noticed I was on battery even though I was plugged into the wall. There were some bite marks on the thin cable (*%$&# CAT) and when I twisted around the wire at those two points, it made an electrical crackling noise. AND YES, no green power light and a quick steady beep from the brick. So I wrapped some electrical tape around the bad spots and now it works again. Who knows for how long... If it dies it better be covered by Dell. No small cat should be able to take out a $70 notebook power adapter.

-Justin

1 Message

November 23rd, 2004 22:00

I have an Inpiron 1150 and the power adaptor is beeping.  The computer doesn't work and looks like the battery is depleated.  Do I need a new power adaptor?

174 Posts

November 25th, 2004 02:00

Have you checked to see if your BIOS recognizes the power adapter? I know that the power page in the BIOS for the 8500 shows what kind of adapter is attached. Mine says 90W. I believe if the laptop has quit recognizing the adapter (possibly dead adapter) that it will say unknown. You might want to check that out.

2 Posts

March 9th, 2012 06:00

I have the same issue, 130W-AC Adapter for a Dell Precision M6300. The "brick" itself beeps and no green light after plugging it into the wall outlet.

No power returned to the laptop.

June 7th, 2013 13:00

but you see how this kinda thing happens its not a code or anything like that its just some physics going on

now the current isnt the feedback loop but is subject to a feedback loop in that the diode (or maybe its the capacitor actually) takes all it can take and discharges and this happens so rapidly that the air displacement the arc causes creates a beeping noise sometimes constant sometimes in a pattern it depends on the factors involved heck sometimes its not even a beep sometimes its a buzz or what have you may

the beeping isn't by design its feedback loop caused by a short in a diode somewhere the beeping is actually electricity arching between the contact(s) on the diode (not usually the led though but its possible) personally i just gave the old charger a few whacks and it works again for now sadly thats all you can do it a situation like this and hope the current fuses the circuit back the best it can unless you wanna drop 70 bucks or bust out the soldering iron (i hope you know what your doing) anyway to the guy that was being so assumptive you should throw the crystal ball away because fortune telling is for theiving gypsies of course the dell dudes might hate me for this but you can get a chinese piece not covered in the warranty (calm down dell dudes) for like 20 bucks online thats what i did for my toshiba or if you have another charger laying around for and older different peice check the volts and watts and see if its the same as yours if it is just splice the head from your broken piece to the old peice as long as you get the polarity right  (theres a diagram on the brick) itll work like a charm but im poor so i ghetto rig alot of stuff

so it is the capacitor after all wish i woulda read your comment coulda saved my breath but yea i was just imagining it the fact that you experienced it tells me my intuitions were correct so thanks for the boost in confidence ^-^

No Events found!