Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 24th, 2017 19:00

Pressed F8 on my XPS 15 and now I have a boat anchor....

Was trying to get to safe mode and used the old key combination.

Has anyone at Dell made any headway on fixing this problem?

From what I've read the only way it can be repaired is by replacing the motherboard.

My warranty is expired but this is pretty clearly a manufacturing defect (why in the world would they have it setup like this).

How much does this repair cost?

Any assistance is appreciated. Sadly I was going to sell it tonight but I was trying to get the cache drive working (rather than being a separate mini solid state.

380 Posts

November 25th, 2017 03:00

This is unfortunate. A number of posts here mention that pressing F8 when booting the system will brick it. F8 for entering Safe Mode no longer works in Windows 10 although it can be changed to do that. To enter Safe Mode in Windows 10 you should hold the "Shift" key and then click the "Restart" button. Why some Dells are set up to brick on F8 I don't know. Your only choice is to call Dell and see what they can do.

JohnD

7 Posts

November 25th, 2017 06:00

Thanks, I'll have to try when they open next week. I had a moment of joy when I remembered that most of my credit cards have a free extra year of warranty but it turned to sadness when I realized that I had used a Dell gift card (which invalidates that extra year).

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

November 25th, 2017 08:00

Well, the only other thing I would try is to remove the drive and boot.  I know it isn't getting into the Bios but on a UEFI system, boot devices are checked before it gets to that point.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

What exactly does it do when you try to boot, no F key options at all?    In Win 10 you need to start tapping those keys earlier than you might think.

If you have the external power plugged in, unplug it.

Try holding the power button down for 30 seconds.

Some systems have the ability to recover the bios for emergencies, have you checked into trying that?

7 Posts

No post, no F2/F12, I'd love to do a bios recovery but I don't see anything like that for the 9550. In other threads people have reported pulling the cmos and main battery does nothing to reset it. I've tried the hold down power for a full minute fix. That's not actually for the F8 error, just for display driver issues. They seem to have gotten lumped together due to similar features (black screen) but differ in severity, the display issue recovers after hard power down. I used to have the display issue but realized I could just restart the laptop. Now I wish I had looked into I more in order to know about this much more serious defect.

7 Posts

November 25th, 2017 10:00

Thanks for the idea, hadn't seen it in any of the other threads. Unfortunately it's still a brick even with SSD and HDD pulled. Also noted while I had the back off that the fans don't start while it's "on" they only fire up when it press the button again to turn it off. I'm tempted to try and remove the CMOS battery (dell was nice enough to put it on the back of the mobo so you have to remove everything), but I think I will save that bit of futility until I talk to service next week.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

November 25th, 2017 11:00

I find it hard to believe a F8 key would brick the system so you could not get it back.  As far as I know, the F8 key is not used by the Bios so a Windows thing which is why I suggested removing that from the system.

You might try a USB drive with the install media or a recovery drive, but you may already know that won't work unless it would boot because the normal drives are not there.

I don't suppose you have tried F8 again ... on my system it is the Display selector... maybe an external display would give you some info.

Good Luck with it ..

7 Posts

November 25th, 2017 13:00

Agreed, there's no reasonable reason that pressing F8 should brick a system. I tried using my TV as an external monitor but no boot or desktop screens come across. Also, the fans don't spin up which I'm pretty sure should happen at boot.

No Events found!