Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 21st, 2011 07:00

Printing

I have a Dell Inspiron 1525 which had a very bad virus.  The only remedy the Computer Shop was to un-install and re-install.  Since then I cannot use the printer which is a Lexmark X1100.  I have installed the printer, it says the install was sucessful but when I try to print I get messages stating no default printer found. Has any one any ideas what I should do?  Should I insert the Dell Drivers and Utilities disc which says is already installed on the computer?

Thomasina

3.8K Posts

February 24th, 2011 09:00

Hi Thomasina,

Welcome to the Community. Sorry to hear about your computer. TDell drivers and utilities has nothing to do with this. If you installed the printer using the printer cd, that came with the printer, then go to the control panel, and then click on printer and faxes, you should see lexmark printer listed there ( if not, you have not installed the printer software correctly) right click on the lexmark printer, and then click make default device.

Thank you

Royan

3 Posts

February 24th, 2011 10:00

Hi Royan

Thanks for replying!  I did install using the CD that came with the printer. I have done as you have suggest an the Lexmark symbol has  a tick which suggests that should be ok!  But still when I try and print the printer dosen't recognise it as the default printer.  Any other ideas, please

Thomasina

3.8K Posts

February 24th, 2011 12:00

Hi Thomasina,

Go back to the control panel, printer and faxes, right click printer and delete it, do the same if you see multiple printers listed there. Install the Lexmark printer again, and then go back and see if that is the only printer listed under printer and faxes, and make sure its set to default and then try and print.

Thank you

Royan

February 24th, 2011 12:00

You need to make sure if the print spooler service running correctly. Check this after you have done a clean installing of the driver. A corrupt drive might stop the spooler service

This is how you start and stop spooler service:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc781034(WS.10).aspx

3 Posts

February 25th, 2011 01:00

Hi Royan

Thanks for information.  I have tried this but still not printing.  The Lexmark CD has installed ok but its as though there is a comunication problem between the printer and laptop!!

Thomasina

No Events found!