Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 8th, 2016 17:00

Purchased Non-Dell Backlit Keyboard - having issues

I recently purchase a Dell Laptop 15 3558, awesome deal touchscreen and many additions. Only thing it didnt have was a backlit keyboard, so I went and purchased a (refundable) non-Dell backlit keyboard on Amazon.

I know a backlit keyboard has 2 connections, one for data and one for the light. When I opened up my laptop the light connector had something plugged in (not sure what). I went ahead and disconnected it and plugged in my new non-dell backlit keyboard...here is what happened.

1- Key board lit up and worked.

2- Back lIght never shuts off, even when you shut down its always lit. (The Windows Mobility Center doesnt even have a keyboard light feature.)

3- Laptop will not restart unless I unplug and replug the laptop in again.

Any ideas whats going on ?

Lastly, Does Dell make a backlit keyboard that would be compatible?

2K Posts

December 9th, 2016 11:00

Hi MOEMAYA,

This system model is not designed to support a backlit keyboard and hence there are no backlit on /off toggle function keys as seen on other models - see the specifications here - http://dell.to/2gryrMy

Does the backlit stay on when the system is powered off and the power adapter disconnected?

Update the BIOS - http://dell.to/2h6A06p - restart the system and check.

If the issue is not resolved, then I would suspect an issue with the keyboard installed. 

In that case you would need to reinstall the original Dell OEM keyboard on the machine.

Also, please click my DELL-username and write me a private conversation with the service tag and your Name for case records.

Let us know if you have any other queries.

5 Posts

December 10th, 2016 15:00

Thank you - updated BIOS - keyboard was clearly defective and getting refund.

Should I bother trying to find a backlit keyboard that is compatible or will this be an issue?

2K Posts

December 11th, 2016 10:00

Hi MOEMAYA,

I don't suppose another backlit keyboard will definitely work. Since Dell has not tested this, you might need to test this on your own.

However, please be advised, that if a 3rd party - non Dell hardware component is installed on a system with active warranty and if there is an issue on the system caused by the non Dell component, then the service options could be void as determined by the service engineers.

Kindly review the warranty terms here - www.dell.com/.../limited-hardware-warranties

So, my suggestion is that you could rather wait until the warranty has expired.

Let us know if you have any other queries.

5 Posts

December 11th, 2016 18:00

im not purchasing another 3rd party - not worth it. i do wish Dell made one.

2K Posts

December 15th, 2016 12:00

Hi MOEMAYA,

Well, the system is designed with various aspects in mind. While some features would be added into newer models, some might be removed due to constricts. 

Having said this, you could provide the product feedback here if required - http://bit.ly/2gkFPti and the relevant teams would review the same.

Should you need any info / help, contact us anytime.

No Events found!