Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 25th, 2016 06:00

RE: Inspiron 14z 5423 Optical Drive Not Working

Hear Jennifer, I have the same problem,

Model is inspiron 5423, 14z ultrabook with i5-3317u 1.7ghz, 8gb ram too.

Please help.

Restart and pressing F2, the SATA is NONE.

What do you mean by "Now kindly delete upper and lower filters from the registry settings then see if the issue is resolved. "??

I do not understand how to delete upper and lower filters from registry setting

9 Posts

September 25th, 2016 06:00

My DELL inspiron 14z 5423 is not detecting DVD/ CD for a very long time.

Restart laptop and press f2, the SATA shown is NONE.

i5 3317U, CPU 1.7GHz, 8.00GB, 64 bit.

I am not an expert in computer.

Kindly assist and provide download link or detailed instructions.

2K Posts

September 25th, 2016 20:00

Hi ACOIN,

What is the current OS installed on the system?

Is the ODD detected in device manager? Check for all sata info in BIOS - press f2 on startup and view the sata info and see if the ODD is listed.

If the ODD is seen in BIOS and in device manager, then you could delete the registry settings - see link for help - http://bit.ly/1DzRGa9

If the ODD is not seen in BIOS - Restart the system and press f12 key on startup - choose diagnostics. Let it run the diags and if you encounter any errors - make a note of the complete error and report the same to us.These are onboard diagnostics and they might possible pick some error if the hardware is not functional.

Also, please click my DELL-username and write me a private conversation with the service tag and your contact details(Name and Email) for case records.

Let us know if you have any other queries.

9 Posts

October 10th, 2016 03:00

Dear Rishi,

Dell inspiron 5423, intel core i5-3317u cpi@ 1.70 GHz

Restart Bios

Fixed hdd: hitachi HTS545050A7E380

SATA ODD: none

mSATA device: samsung ssd pm830 mSATA 32GB

Restart system f12 diagnostics----> error code: 2000-0314, validation 99727, msg: thermal: the (chipset thermistor) reading (100C) exceeds the thermal limit.

Technician support will need this information to diagnose the problem.

Other than that, i have tried the suggestion provided by dell website.

Please help.

9 Posts

My laptop is running on window 10 now. How to solve this?

9 Posts

Dear Rishi,

Dell inspiron 5423, intel core i5-3317u cpi@ 1.70 GHz

Restart Bios

Fixed hdd: hitachi HTS545050A7E380

SATA ODD: none

mSATA device: samsung ssd pm830 mSATA 32GB

Restart system f12 diagnostics----> error code: 2000-0314, validation 99727, msg: thermal: the (chipset thermistor) reading (100C) exceeds the thermal limit.

Technician support will need this information to diagnose the problem.

Other than that, i have tried the suggestion provided by dell website, to uninstall the drive and restart but it is not working at all.

My laptop is running on window 10 now.

2K Posts

October 10th, 2016 11:00

Hi ACOIN,

Thank you for the update.

Update the BIOS - http://dell.to/2dWESXu - restart the system and check in BIOS again if the ODD is detected.

Also, run the diagnostics again and check if you encounter the thermal error again.

If the ODD is still not detected, then download the service manual here - http://dell.to/2d326ia - remove and reseat the ODD and check if it works detects.

If possible, try with another ODD. If not, the ODD needs to be replaced.

If the thermal error in the diagnostics are still seen, then the fan needs to be replaced.

Assuming there is no warranty, you could contact our team to get a quote for a paid service call - http://dell.to/1vnT6CQ

If you wish to replace the parts yourself, you could also get them here - http://bit.ly/2dfqmMn

9 Posts

October 11th, 2016 09:00

Dear Rishi,

I am unable to run the updated BIOS.

it came out a WARNING statement can't flash to to the same Bios version. Press OK to exit.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

October 11th, 2016 10:00

Unplug the system, remove the base cover and disconnect the battery.  Remove and reinstall the optical drive (service manual here):

www.dell.com/.../manuals

If that doesn't get the drive recognized, it need to be replaced.

The other error indicates a problem with the chipset temperature sensor.  If the system is running OK (not overly hot) otherwise, you can ignore it for now, but the only fix for a bad temperature sensor is to replace the main system board.  

Depending on the CPU you have, a replacement board will run $200-300, plus another $100 or so in labor with a repair shop.  That's probably 50% of what the equivalent new system would cost - and if that repair becomes necessary, a new system is a better idea than repairing this one.

2K Posts

October 13th, 2016 13:00

Hi ACOIN,

Have you tried reseating the ODD as advised?

Also, for the thermal errors, clean the airvents and fan assembly and reapply the thermal grease for the heatsink and run the diags again. 

If the issue is still unresolved with the ODD and if the system is overheating and you get the thermal errors, then I would suggest the same as advised by ejn63.

Repairing the system is not going to be inexpensive if the motherboard is needed to be replaced. My personal suggestion is to invest your money on a new machine.

No Events found!