Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 28th, 2013 18:00

Replaced just about everything, battery won't charge.

A few months ago, I started getting the dreaded "Charger not recognized" error on startup on my 1545. Sometimes a simple restart and the error would go away and the batter would charge normally. Finally, that walk-around stopped working. Laptop would function normally, battery would not charge. I replaced the charger to no avail. Bought a new battery, that still didn't fix the issue. Bought and replaced the charging board, still nothing. Finally I replaced the motherboard from a known working 1545 that had a bad screen, and the error went away. Or at least on startup it did. Battery still will not charge. When I enter setup on startup, and navigate to the appropriate menu, it still says "Charger type unknown" -- Even with trying 3 different Dell chargers, which all 3 work on other laptops I have in the house.

What else could be causing this? What might I be missing? 

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

September 28th, 2013 19:00

Hi ryankrizan,

Good work on the troubleshooting. I would suggest you to update the BIOS on the system. Please download the BIOS from the link below and install it.

http://dell.to/1bhDMyk

After the BIOS update if you still find the AC adapter status as Unknown in the BIOS then the AC adapter you have attached is faulty or not compatible with the system.

2.4K Posts

September 28th, 2013 19:00

Do you have the latest BIOS installed?

2 Posts

September 28th, 2013 21:00

BIOS is current version at 14, still the same result. I have tried other chargers, one being a 90W Dell charger that I use with my 7720 and it doesn't recognize that either. I also have a Dell charger for an XPS system that it doesn't recognize. 

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

October 1st, 2013 05:00

Hi ryankrizan,

I see that you have performed most of the troubleshooting on the system. The point of failure seems to be the replaced system board.

No Events found!